cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rediculous Technicolor TG582n router

jpollard00

Rediculous Technicolor TG582n router

Okay, so ive been with this isp for some 4 months now, and have finally cleared a hectic workload so i can game/download things in my spare time.
Current package is "Extra" (just as an fyi, as im not on fibre as i couldnt see the point at the time)
Main issue is that the hardware is laughable. It is the single, cheapest, useless piece of technology I have ever had the displeasure of using. My download transfer is at the lowest i have seen since broadband was released and barely challenges the days i was on dialup. Current DL speed  on WiFi is stated at 3.1mb/s and upload rate  is 0.4mb/s (shocking stats considering on speed testing I was told that i would achieve upto 8Mb/s). Cable with Gold connections makes no difference either.
Laptop hardware is not an issue as I have an Alienware laptop, 3940xm, 7970m 2gb gpu, 256 ssd, 1TB hdd, 32 gb hyper x ram, and that works fine.
Now I am honestly in the mindset of cancelling my direct debit (I don't care about the potential "legal" ramifications as i'll quite happily go to court to state the case of why on earth should I pay for a "service" that I am not receiving, and win.... comfortably).
To top it all off, my neighbor is on talktalk, something very similar in "status" and "service" as an isp, and plugged in my 6 year old netgear router, and funnily it outperformed plusnets service and hardware (and this supposedly fantastic piece of kit) by some 60%, which is a joke.
Fundamentals are that I want this sorting, as it is not my fault, given I have spent 3 hours setting up port forwards for specific games, with no difference being made to this at all, and I am well within my 60GB monthly allowance.
This piece of hardware isn't even worth being a doorstop in my eyes. I have no problem with "free" or cheap technology, as that old router was only £25 when new, but this is a joke.
I wish i'd paid a little extra a month and gone with talktalk now, as at least you know their hardware and service are reasonable for the money.
You can be damn sure i'll be telling my friends, colleagues and neighbors to stay as far away from this provider as possible
11 REPLIES 11
CX
Grafter

Re: Rediculous Technicolor TG582n router

Please read this:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
What are the router stats / line stats given by the router (if you can get the stats from the Netgear router too, that would be great).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you find the Technicolor router ridiculous (or "rediculous" if you prefer) why not use your Netgear router?  Mine must be about six years old and still going strong.  If you at least try it you will see if your problems really are down to the router or something else. 
jpollard00

I tried the netgear and the issue disappears slightly (its only a wired router)as transfer rates increase by some 15% using that, so with a "new" router it should be alot higher.
Router/Line stats as follows:
DSL Connection:
Uptime: 0 days, 6:32:18
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.933
Uptime previously was 5 weeks, and the issue was the same (from the select times I had time to download things), so I tried rebooting the router this afternoon to see if that made a difference, to no avail
Also performance test from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ as follows:
Download Speed (Mbps): 2.13
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.35
Ping Latency (ms): 246.17
CX
Grafter

As you're on ADSL2/2+, you should ask Plusnet to uncap your upload. That should give you higher than 448kbps upload.
That BT speedtest result is pretty poor. Is the latency so high, and throughput so low, if you are using wired ethernet?
As for the wireless download speed - how far are you from the router and what rate does the wireless adapter think it's connected at? (if you look at the status of the wifi icon next to the clock). Also, have you tried changing the wireless channel to something other than the default? Perhaps you have neighbours with a wireless network on the same channel. I know that there have been some complaints about the wireless performance of the TG582n, but not as bad as that (most complaints seem to be from people with 60Mbps+ fibre connections, and they're "only" getting half that - with an ADSL connection such as yours it should be fine).
jpollard00

It thinks its connected at 65 Mbps. And the actual signal isnt an issue as I live in a 1 bed flat and the router is 4 feet away from where I use my laptop anyway
Latency high on the Wired router for what im used to, but this is a little lower that the TG582 (wired Latency on the NetGear is 221.61 Ms).
Ive not tried changing the wireless channel as yet, as I dont see why there would be such an issue with that as there is only 1 other network in range, and thats my neighbor on talktalk, which is using a different channel.

Thanks for the help so far Smiley (sorry for the initial rant, its winding me up and needed to vent haha)
jpollard00

Also, how would I get them to uncap my upload speed?:

EDIT, found out how to do it via the help assistant so had requested this action be done
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Can you report your downstream/upstream attenuations and the Signal to Noise Ratio Margin (SNRM) in both directions.  Those figures set the context for the other router stats.
Your router actually connects at 7933 kbps (which is not far off the 8 meg you were promised) but for some reason you are not getting close to that in actual speed tests.  That latency also seems very high.  What version of Windows are you running (assuming you use Windows)? 
Estragon
Rising Star

I think from reading other posts that the BT performance tester you used earlier has a Diagnostics button to do a further test, somewhere near the bottom.
Easier and quicker is to use http://speedtester.bt.com and use the diagnostics button that is already there on the left.  Then copy and paste the the complete results in the downstream results text box. Not just the speeds. Then check your Current line speed in your Member Centre.
Those can limit your download speed and occasionally have incorrect values.
Routefinder
Grafter

Also in case I missed it:-
On the BT wholesale speedtester you show the link for do it again and click on further diagnostics ..................this will also give you the IP Profile that BT says they have set for you.  
Then login the Plus Net portal and check your stable rate this is via > My Account > Connection Settings > High Speed Broadband and tell us what it says there?
This to add to the info will tell us if there is an IP mismatch  Shocked
And yes that latency is way high!!!! When you did the BT test did you make sure to stop using anything streaming or gaming or big downloads etc???
PS Weh heh Estragon.............snap  Wink Smiley
jpollard00

Thanks for the replies guys.
Will do all that was mentioned when I get in from work at arouns 4.30/5pm tonight.
When doing the speedtest on BT all other tech was disconnected from the network, and the only thing operating on my laptop was Firefox with these forums on it, no other web pages, so the latency should have been that high at all.
Thanks for the support so far, im no nugget when it comes to tech, but this router has me baffled as my pervious isps gave me more freedom in terms of router firmware, and this combined with the plusnet account makes for a confusing episode to me haha.
Thanks again.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi jpollard00,
I've uncapped your upload speed and also responded to your ticket, your upload speed will increase on Monday when the order completes.
I've also changed your speed profile to match your sync rate, let us know the results of the speed test's when you've done them.
Chris