Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for a new modem/router please

glennburnard
Grafter

Recommendation for a new modem/router please

Dear All,
I am considering getting a new modem/router to replace the white box standard Plusnet technicolour we use for our ADSL Annex M broadband connnection, we have around 20+ devices connected at any point in time through wireless and ethernet ranging from phones, laptops, cameras, lights, sound systems, streaming devices, tablets, game consoles etc, We have had recent frequent issues with our connection dropping out everyday, the gentleman on the phone today mentioned that the noise margin was too little so he increased that and so far it seems to have got better, will have to check properly over the coming days. But overall, whenever we loose connection, I restart the router and things work again, which suggests something here is not working properly.
So the router we are looking for should allow:
- Perfect traffic prioritisation (if that happens on the router), we have two devices at any point in time playing League of Legends and using Skype, the current experience is lag happens whenever a  multitab browser is opened on any device or an excel file is uploaded to OneDrive (essentially the upload bandwidth is very limited, but we are paying extra to get 1.2 up on the ADSL connection)
- Perfect wireless, preferably Wifi 8.11 ac (Do they come in tri-band? ac/n/g), so can connect new devices on that.
- Great compatibility with Plusnet network. Despite the hiccups we have experienced I just  love Plusnet customer service and the knowledge of the great support team so my preference is to stick with them.
- Future proofing for fiber, once fiber comes to our area (fingers crossed- I have been nagging the Black Country project group for months!)- our exchange is enabled but our cabinet needs a gap fund of £12K  and is not part of BT openreach commercial plans 😞
We use an average of 200-300Gb a month.
So any recommendations for new modem/router for the house?
Thanks a ton in advance 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
louialive
Grafter

Re: Recommendation for a new modem/router please

You won't go wrong with a draytek router
shure
Grafter

I'm on 8Mb ADSL Max.  I too suffered with Skype etc when multiple users were online, especially when my son was streaming.  I eventually bit the bullet and recently bought an Asus RT-N66u and I'm so glad I did.  Range and stability have improved and I no longer have blackspots in my (old Victorian) house; it has QoS built in so I can prioritise traffic manually if I want (although I haven't needed to so far); and it also has a guest network facility so when my kids bring friends home with them I can give them worry-free access to wifi.  Finally, it's very simple set up and has an easy to use interface.  It's not cheap at around £110 but internet is such an essential facility these days that I felt it was worth it.
One thing to bear in mind.  You will need a separate modem with this router, which you can get for around £15 or so.  But a lot of fibre routers don't have modems built in anyway so if you are going down this route (no pun intended) then you should factor that in.  The latest Asus ac capable one is the RT-AC68u.  It has dual band 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz..  If it's anything like my n model I would highly recommend it.  Other top routers to consider are the Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 and the Linksys EA6900: all three are considered the best in their class.
You mentioned that you have some devices on 802.11g.  Depending on what they are in might be worth your while buying n (or ac) adapters for them.  I had an old Sony Vaio laptop with a g wireless card that has always been very slow.  When I upgraded my router I bought a TP-Link USB wireless n adapter (available from Amazon for £5.99!) and it was like I bought a new laptop.  It was completely transformed and it's now as fast as anything else in my house.  I would recommend doing that for any older pcs or laptops as otherwise you won't be getting the benefit of your shiny new router.
Good luck!
glennburnard
Grafter

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback.
Shure, ,mate thanks a ton for taking the time in posting this very informative reply. I was checking out one of the Asus routers on Youtube as you posted this.
So in your current setup did you completely get rid of the technicolour box from Plusnet? You see that overheats and drops connections all the time, Ideally I would have went for a solution that supports modem + wan + wirelss ac connection as all in one box  but that doesn't seem to exist- yet!.
So I guess the question is,, should I get a cheap modem with one of those greater routers .... or get an all in one with an N strength wireless.... I would rather future proof with a wireless AC.
Choices choices choices...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

ASUS do have a version of the AC68U with a built-in modem http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/
Actually it seems to have ADSL & VDSL modem capability so it would even provide a single box solution for FTTC.
Not sure if it's available anywhere yet though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrT
Grafter

I'm trying to decide on a new router too. I've been looking at the BT Home Hub 5 (see review http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/1305070/bt-home-hub-5. It works with Plusnet and has most, if not all, of the features you are looking for.
There are several brand new of these on ebay for about £50 (against a BT list price of £129).
Hope this helps.  Smiley
glennburnard
Grafter

That Asus DSL-AC68U sounds perfect... I will research if it is possible to order that somehow.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My guess is it won't be cheap...
Certainly worth looking at MrT's suggestion of a HH5, the spec is very similar.
One of my colleagues has one working on a PN FTTC connection. Not sure he uses the wireless AC though. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shure
Grafter

The modem routers tend not to have as good reviews as the single units.  Apart from anything else the single boxes run much cooler as (at least in my case) the extra space inside allows for a larger heatsink.  In any event if/when you get fibre the Openreach modem is by all accounts a perfectly good piece of kit so that worry will be taken care of.  If it was me I'd get the separates as a stand-alone modem is pretty cheap and it allows for greater choice on the router side, which is the bit that does all the hard work anyway!  
I had an old Netgear DG834PN modem router that I managed to put in modem only mode.  I also had issues with the Plusnet supplied TG582n dropping connection repeatedly and my Netgear was much, much more reliable in that regard, despite hailing from 2005!  From dropping connections several times a day with Technicolor i went literally for months on end without dropping once with the Netgear.  I had a static IP in all but name!  I think that putting the TG582n in modem only modem is trickier by all accounts from reading threads on here but a workaround would be to put the new router in the DMZ of the TG582n and disable wireless on the Technicolor.  However as the PN router drops connections constantly I'd suggest looking for a cheap modem elsewhere.
I've been lucky with my router and technically it's been superb.  One thing I will point out is that Asus doesn't have a particularly good rep for support, although by all accounts their forums are pretty good (bit like Plusnet on the forums!).   Fortunately I haven't had to call on it but it might be worth taking into account if that's important to you.  But for range and stability the three i mentioned would top my list.  
xreyuk
Grafter

I use the supplied open reach modem with a TP Link WDR3600.
TP Link tend to be a bit cheaper than everyone else but still offer the same features. I have dual band, simultaneous 5GHz and 2.4GHz for example.
I've used TP Link products for about 4-5 years and I'm yet to have anything break. I've used a Gb switch for 4 or so years and it's still going strong.
glennburnard
Grafter

Useful thread if anyone is interested in the Asus one
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26551826
Devonian
Grafter

I've had the HomeHub5 working for a while now, on Fibre granted, but it is a brilliant router.
The wireless has a great range, and the transfer speed even with just 1 bar signal is virtually top speed.
It handles multiple bits of kit connecting together perfectly.
For the price, you can't fault it.
glennburnard
Grafter

So I bought a cheap £14 tp-link modem +£7 Sunday delivery from amazon and hooked that up to a linksys e4200 v2  which I had lying around and guess what, the day has passed without a single disconnection or latency spike and all devices are connecting under heavy load... I hope this remains the same. I am even getting 1.5mb upload on annex M instead of the 1.2-1.3 I used to get on the technicolor. Fingers crossed
shure
Grafter

Glad it's up and running.  I don't know why the PN router seems to have so much trouble simply holding onto a connection when other modems have no issues on the same line.  Hope your internet experience improves!