cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a router please

Bumbellotty

Recommend a router please

I need to replace my router and would be grateful for advise on which would work best (not fibre optic) with Plus net and is fast and reliable. Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
shure
Grafter

Re: Recommend a router please

that depends on a number of things, including range, whether you want features like e.g. dual band and, not least, budget! 
What are you looking for and is there any reason you can't or won't use the PN supplied one?
Bumbellotty

I have had the Thomson for about 10 years and someone said it might be why we are running slowly (sometimes very slowly). They also said we are losing speed using an extension and should place the router at the point of entry which is about 60 metres from the computers. If dual band is faster that would be brilliant and I was thinking it would be up to £100. Thank you
shure
Grafter

Before you spend money on a router have you checked that it's the bottleneck for your speed issues?  It may be something completely different.
1. When you notice speed issues, are you connected wired or wireless, or both? 
2. Are your speed issues consistent with any time of day or type of usage?
3. 60M is quite far!  Did I read that right?  Do you know what type of cabling you are using for your extension?
4. What broadband connection do you have (e.g. ADSL or ADSL2/2+)?  Are you getting the speeds you should according to your IP Profile?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
A number of the characteristics you've mentioned will inhibit a new router installed in the same location doing anything much better.  Indeed dual band can be faster IF your devices (computer, Smart phones, tables etc.) have dual band capability.  It they are not very new, they are unlikely to have 5GHz capability.  However note that no matter how fast your WiFi is, your internet experience cannot be any better than the up-link performance... which brings us back to the manner in which your present router is installed.
You need to consider why the router is "on a long extension" - are there devices which MUST be Ethernet cable connected?  If yes, then you are likely to see improvement by moving the router close to the telephone master socket and "get" wired connectivity to the present location using...
+ An Ethernet cable and a small hub - £15 should nail it
+ A WiFi range extender - these are available for around £25 upwards - can connect over WiFi or wire to the main router
+ Ethernet over Power adapters - you plug one of these into a mains socket near the router, connect it to the router and somewhere else in your home you put the other end in a power socket and connect devices into it.  I use Devolo units without issue, however some devices have been reported to emit REIN / EMF which can degrade ADSL performance just like cheap switch mode power supplies do.
Sharing your router stats as described here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html - would be helpful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hang on, what's all this about the router needs to be at the point of entry. That's garbage if your wiring is up to standard. You need to tell us more about your installation so you can get that side resolved before choosing a new modem/router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Bumbellotty,
I forgot to extend a warm welcome to the forums.
There can a danger of overloading posters with information / requests, but the more information you can provide the better.  As Anotherone has just hinted to me elsewhere, we can all be guilty of reading something into a simple statement which might not be correct...
Quote from: Bumbellotty
we are losing speed using an extension
should place the router at the point of entry
which is about 60 metres from the computers

I rather assumed that the extension is an ordinary phone extension (flat D-cable) coming out of the front of the master phone socket - it could of course be a properly fixed wired extension out of the back of the master socket (or via a NTE5 user plate) using old or new wiring standards.
Ideally the router should be at the master socket, however if the fixed wiring standard is "current" then it might make little difference; if the wiring standard is old, it might not deliver the desired improvement without also making some changes to the extension wiring.
The challenge here is how to "properly" bridge he 60m gap whilst delivering the maximum ADSL connection performance.
So along with the speed issues data I pointed to, can you also follow the links ti identify the phone socket type and explain how the "extension" is wired - describe the cable by shape and colour.  If the extension is fixed wiring and you feel up to it, take the master socket faceplate off and describe the wring connections - terminal numbers and wire colours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.