cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a good fast modem router that does not frequently drop out.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Recommend a good fast modem router that does not frequently drop out.

Relatives bought Netgear DGN1000 to replace defunct DG834G v3. Both communicate with workplaces, one via an Aruba secure wirelessremote access point. Their network is wireless in a mid 20s 5 bed house.
The old 834G worked perfectly, but since they acquired the 1000 they are plagued with drop outs, that only a reboot cures.
A Google seems to point to frequent problems with the 1000.
Without too much cost to them, what would friends' recommendations be for a replacement? Are routers with certain chips more likely to cut the mustard?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Recommend a good fast modem router that does not frequently drop out.

Most routers have a (nominal) guarantee that runs for several years.  If the Netgear router is faulty then it should be repaired or replaced under guarantee.
Luzern
Hero

Faulty? ISTM that rather than an individually faulty example of the type, the type itself is not reliable. That's why I asked for replacement recommendations . Wink
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
carrot63
Grafter

I've had two netgears, an 834v2 (non-wireless)  and an 834GT. Both have done me well and tend to be pretty tenacious except where there are line problems. The old 834 gives a slightly better sync rate. I'd always recommend these anyway, especially as your relatives have had good results before. I picked my ex-Sky 834GT up on ebay for a tenner in virtually brand new condition and reflashed it to standard Netgear firmware - there are plenty of instructions on the net to do this, and it's easy enough.
For speed. I've seen a lot of posts saying good things about Billionton routers, but can't recall which models.
TBB have an interesting review of router speeds with some surprising results:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4144-how-fast-is-your-broadband-router.html
Luzern
Hero

Of course it has to have the stability feature of mot needing constant full manual reboots after dropouts or lockups.
That's why with more than one line of Netgears reported as problematic, I muse if they should go to another make.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Personally I've stuck with DG834GT, but with DGTeam firmware.
Mine had stayed up for several months without any attention whatsoever until we had some "serious" wide-area power fluctuations a few days ago and it rebooted.
I didn't even know until I checked uptime after a neighbour asked if my BB was OK - he needed to manually reboot his, also a DG834GT but with Netgear firmware.
cajef
Grafter

I have two Netgears a DG834PN and a DG834N, the PN gives a rock steady and stable ethernet connection to my desktop and wireless connection to the laptop, the N gives a stable ethernet connection but has always repeatedly dropped the wireless connection when using the laptop, it however makes a good bookend.  Roll_eyes