cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent slow speeds despite being very close too exchange.

tonlais

Recent slow speeds despite being very close too exchange.

Hi,
Connected to the New Quay (Ceredigion) exchange, within a few hundred meters of exchange. We have always had excellent speeds but the last few weeks has deteriorated markedly. Struggling at times to get Iplayer or even internet radio working. Problem is intermittent. Getting 1-2Mbps day before yesterday rising to 6 by late evening, 6 all day yesterday, back down to a lowly 0.28 this morning! Tried the full range of troubleshooting on website, tried alternative router, new filter, new cable to connect router. Router is connected to master socket. Haven't got a test socket.
Connected via Technicolor Router
Stats...
Ping up to 250ms at times
BT Speedprofile : 7.15 Mbps
Line Speed (plusnet): 7.15 Mb
Output Power: 12.1/19.9
Line Attenuation: 9.5/17.0
SN margin: 22.0/13.0
BT speedcheck this morning showed 0.28, clicked through and recommended third test which "indicates poor service throughput performance" and to contact ISP for fault investigation.
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Recent slow speeds despite being very close too exchange.

Bearing in mind you are connected at full speed, you don't need a test socket as there obviously isn't any wiring issues affecting you sync speed.
This is purely a throughput issue and is down to exchange congestion. The VPs at your exchange were showing congestion earlier in the year. As it's an older 20CN exchange I somehow doubt that BTw have done much about it. It's gong to need Plusnet to apply some pressure to BTw to get something done even though Fibre is due to come by the end of the year.
But as it's also a Market 1 exchange - no other providers apart from BT Wholesale, Fibre won't be cheap.
You are going to need to hope that Plusnet make sufficient fuss and there is a less congested VP you can be put on.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Your exchange isn't on Plusnet's list yet, no doubt this will bring it to their attention.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you put your telephone number in to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome please. I'm slightly concerned that if you are close to the exchange you might be on an exchange line and not connected via a cabinet. If that is the case FTTC probably won't be available to you. The checker should give your cabinet number at the top.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tonlais

Back up to over 6Mbps this morning with ping of 33ms. We have a very seasonal population here in New Quay, I would imagine congestion may be at a peak in July and August. Over the autumn and winter it's a ghost town, and yes fibre is arriving from December, but I think I am on an exchange line :(.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi and welcome tonlais,
I've done a quick check on the line for you, and as has been posted here, some VP's in your exchange are over capacity. There are resolution dates provided though, so I'm hoping you won't see further issues.
It looks like the dates for the worst affected VP's are into next year though. I'm hoping this won't be too much of a concern as your speeds have increased again.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

He tested around 9 am - of course his speeds have increased! It will need to be monitored for several days to tell if BT have done anything.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tonlais

Thanks for the reply,
Though the speed is back up this morning I wouldn't be surprised if its back down again later today or tomorrow, seems to be slow more than it's fast. Done a bit of digging as didn't know the exact location of the exchange. It's about 700m from me and the new cabinets I have mentioned are between myself and the exchange. Hopefully that may mean being hitched up to a cabinet instead? To be honest the whole town is probably within 800m of the exchange so imagine most of the town is on exchange lines right now. When I say town I really mean large village!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
We can try moving you to a different port at the exchange but the disadvantage of this is that you'd suffer some downtime. I'd like to see how the connection is for a few days before we do anything as drastic as that.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
tonlais

Ok, away for a couple of weeks later today. I'll check it when I'm back and update the thread.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds like a plan  Wink