cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent slow and unstable speeds

bumbershoot
Grafter

Recent slow and unstable speeds

In the last few days my connection has become very slow with varying speed test results, for the last year or so its been an mildly acceptable 4mbps but after struggling to watch my now tv box speed tests today have given 1.44, 1.8, 1.1 and 2mbps. Nothing has been physically moved or altered. Pages on the Thompson Gateway also seem extremely slow.   BT wholesale further diagnostics also times out very quickly or offers a fault Tas* 1, contact service provider.

Tests done on a wired connection, router connected directly to split faceplate. Quiet line test shows a quiet line. On holiday for a week prior to this so may have been a problem for slightly longer. 

Thanks for any help.

*Tas from memory. Three letters starting with T.

11 REPLIES 11
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Recent slow and unstable speeds

Hi @bumbershoot.

I have ran some checks on your line for you, and I can see that you are currently in sync at 4.7Mbps, as can be seen in the test results below.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 29.3 50.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 6.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 7520435 269930590
Speed: 935 4698

When you ran the test, were any other devices running at the same time? Checking the drops on your line, I can see a solid connection apart from one drop in the last 7 days. The latest drop was caused when I ran a test on the line, you can see this again in the image below.

You mentioned that the router admin pages are responding slowly for you. Do you have an alternate router you could possibly try?

bumbershoot
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. This morning I've switched off the wireless so definitely nothing else connected, got speeds of 1.9, 1.33, 0.83 and 1.29mbps. After the 0.83 result I ran further diagnostics, Tap 1 test showed 3.87 with a ping of 144. All other tests have a ping of around 43. Further diagnostics often does't work telling me to contact my service provider.

I've got a spare Talk Talk HG635 router although this may be locked to Talk Talk.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bumbershoot

Thanks for coming back to us.

If you can try the other router that would be advantageous, however, if you can't (or doing so doesn't make any difference) I'd recommend raising a fault here so that we can investigate further.

Best wishes,

Dave

bumbershoot
Grafter

Changed the router and no improvement. Speeds yesterday 1.56, 0.96 and 1.10mbps. Results today 1.23,1.08, 1.44 and 0.85mbps.

Will raise a fault as advised.

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks @bumbershoot

Are you able to try the test socket as explained Here?

This would rule out the faceplate and the wiring behind it causing the problem.

You'll need a microfilter though but we would've supplied you with one with the router we sent.

Let us know how this goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bumbershoot
Grafter

Haven't got a micro filter. Open reach fitted the split face plate a few years ago and told me I didn't need them. A few months ago I binned about 6 of them as surplus and in the way. I've hunted around and tried a neighbour but still haven't got one to try.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @bumbershoot, I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to acquire a microfilter to set the router up in the test socket. As this is the case I have now placed an order for a microfilter to be sent out to you.

We always have to advise 3-5 working days, however they're sent via first class post and generally arrive sooner, however do feel free to purchase a spare in the meantime if you'd prefer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
bumbershoot
Grafter

A friend delivered two new microfilters this morning. Remove the filtered faceplate and tried both. Results 0.00, 1.86, 1.15, 0.00 and 0.00mbps. I have noticed when the speeds are 0.00 the ping is very high, 162, 178 and 271. Not sure if this is relevant.

It feels like its getting slower, this page loaded very slowly.

I opened a fault yesterday. Is this thread connected to it? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've updated your fault ticket 179043078 leaving a link to this thread on there.

I've also reported the fault to our suppliers, and we think the next step is to arrange an engineer to investigate the Openreach network.

If you can reply to the ticket with your availability for a visit posting back over here once you've done so we'll be happy to get the appointment booked in for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bumbershoot
Grafter

Replied to the ticket. Arranging the appointment by phone would have been preferred as a time could have been agreed rather than the vague, offer 3 options.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately we can't offer different timeslots than the ones I've provided I'm afraid.

I've booked the appointment in now and I'll update you via your ticket shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet