cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reboot of router

DaveMcC
Grafter

Reboot of router

Couple of weeks back, when the snow fell, my connection dropped after 6hrs I had to reboot the router which worked
Today again, "no snow" but power failures from about a mile away the same disappearing connection failure, same reboot.
But when I accidentally cut a wire in the garage and knocked the trips out, all I done was reset them and every thing came back on, including the router.
Why would it be then that a power failure else where effects the router in such a way that it requires a reboot?
Dave
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Reboot of router

Hi there,
I believe there's a simple answer to this one.
The reason you had to reboot when there was a broader power problem in the area is that the power to the cabinet would have been lost too.
With a localised powercut in your house the router should automatically reconnect to the cabinet and get you back online without any intervention.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DaveMcC
Grafter

That is what I also thought, then the lights blinked in the house, whole of the town, as I live within 1 000yds of the exchange, the long way round, not just over the field, I guess they would have the same problem, "power drip / jump"
Yip reset router again, not a big problem for me, but as I will be away for the next two weeks, what is the best way to tell sons / daughter how to reset the router.
I do it with the computer software, but my 3 ain't fully conversed in the way of computing, "rather play stupid Xbox"
Pull plug and pray when it goes back in, it will go?? (I would rather not give out the password for router)
Dave
dick:quote
DaveMcC
Grafter

OK guys, 4 reboots in 9hrs, lights have flicked on and off, house lights / street lights
Open to suggestions here, why does the router not reset or re-log on to PN ? Netgear DG834 type
I hope some one will give an answer, and also that I can find this post in two weeks time, off out'a the country
Dave
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For the last point - click on your profile on the top menu and click on show posts
Regarding router I found that my DG834Gv4 was very sensitive to voltage dips.
It would reboot when nothing else in the house was affected other than a noise blip from my Creative speakers
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: DaveMcC
why does the router not reset or re-log on to PN ? Netgear DG834 type

Under Basic Settings, check that Idle Timeout is set to zero. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could invest in an uninterruptable mains power supply, which would protect your router from mains fluctuations and short power cuts.
A typical relatively low power and low cost UPS would be something like this - Amazon : APC CS-350
If you also want to protect other equipment as well (like a PC), then you will need something similar but with more capacity.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: DaveMcC
Pull plug and pray when it goes back in, it will go?? (I would rather not give out the password for router)

A 'clean' power down / re-power should re-start the router correctly and re-connect but do instruct them not to be too impatient when doing this!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.