cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really really slow....

bartstope
Grafter

Really really slow....

Hi there, i'm syncing at about 3700 (which seems to be about normal for me) but my speed is just so so slow, speed test shows:

is this a network or exchange problem?
as well as download speeds, there seems to be very high latency, i read a thread earlier about in increase in dropped packets on the network - is the effects of this basically what i'm seeing?
7 REPLIES 7
bartstope
Grafter

Re: Really really slow....

Hi PJ,
Here is the results of the test:
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3712 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 808 kbps
sadly, it doesn't seem to test latency, but my connection feels really 'laggy' today.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Those results do show a faulty line. I'd say it'll be well worth raising a fault - this can be done at http://faults.plus.net - as the speed test results should be picked up automatically. If not, and the ticket is sent back to yourself (there are several threads on here showing this text - I believe it's along the lines of 'speed tests show your current speed as: none found) just paste in the results of your test as above and we'll continue the investigation.
Hope this helps, sorry about the hassle.
LiamM
Grafter

Would also be worth doing things like :-
- If you have a Wireless router, ensuring it is secured and that nobody else is using your connection
- Making sure you don't have any spyware / viruses on your PC(s) hogging the connection or any open programs which are hammering your line (have you checked your usage to see if it shows an increase in usage?)
- Trying the MTU / RWIN tweaks following advice here : http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU2.htm
bartstope
Grafter

just out of interest, i did the bt speed test again after going out for a while, and i'm now getting:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3712 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2425 kbps
my connection is feeling much better, do these results indicate the fault as resolved ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

well, it indicates that the profile has uplifted whch should take three days, so it does mean that for 3 days your line has been fault free.
Hope that helps,
bartstope
Grafter

thank you orbrey.
i'll paste those into the ticket and see what happens, it does seem a bit strange, i've never had my speed fluctuate like that before, it does seem ok now but it won't hurt to get it checked out - there could be something strange going on.
cheers again for great prompt service.
tcs2000
Grafter

My speed dipped down for a couple of hours earlier today but now seems ok.
Probably a fault with Plusnet that caused it