cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really good line to pile of smelly stuff...

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Really good line to pile of smelly stuff...

So 2 days back I had a superb ADSL server, 20Mbit, stable, and a phone that was just great.
Then it all went wrong, my Netgear stopped being able to sync.
I swapped filters and used a modem to hook up, it sync'd but couldn't do any more than that (apparently it needs to kinda log on to BT's equipment, and it couldn't).
In desperation I tried another modem.  It connected!
But the line stability stinks, and I can hear (very quiet) noises on the phone, whenever the phone rings, hangs up the ADSL line drops, and when the phone is in use the line drops every minute or two.
I've switched back to the original filter, but to no avail, i.e. it's the same as above.
Ideas?  Thoughts?
12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Really good line to pile of smelly stuff...

I'm sure you don't need such an obvious question but HAVE you tried the test socket (assuming you have one that is)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I cannot physically do what's needed to access it, but I am plugged into the ONLY phone socket in the flat.
w23
Pro

Very reasonable chance it is a line fault, you'd need to report that for investigation.
If there's noticable noise on the telephone try a quiet line test (dial 17070 and select option 2 - preferably with a wired telephone), if there's significant noise report to your telecoms provider as a voice line fault, any such noise indicates a line problem that will also cause Broadband problems but is not a 'Broadband fault' as such.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Oh I can hear the noises when talking to people, so on silent test I would hear them no problem.
w23
Pro

Definitely report a voice line fault then.
(unless you also 'hear the voices' when not using the telephone  Crazy - sorry, couldn;t resist.)
Call me 'w23'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fourfourdevon,
would you be able to get your hands on another router? Has this noise only happened since you replaced the router?
Jojo Smiley
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I'm afraid 3 routers/modems is my lot.
Yes, I believe so, although I use the phone infrequently as I use VoIP as my primary phone.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Dialing 17070 will get you to a series of options intended for engineers checking the line.  One of these is the "Quiet Line Test" which enables you to listen to the noise on your line.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that was answer three and four
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Oh yes, silly me!
w23
Pro

Of course, you shold be able to rule out the route by doing a quiet line test with the router switched off or disconnected from the phone line.
Call me 'w23'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: fourfourdevon
.Yes, I believe so, although I use the phone infrequently as I use VoIP as my primary phone.

Not sure then, I think it's best if we see what the faults team come up with.
Jojo Smiley