Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Slow speeds

hamid_m_h
Dabbler

Really Slow speeds

Hi all,

I generally have been having decent internet with plusnet for years but i felt as if my router was dying on me as speeds were constantly slow however, recently i decided to buy a new router  (asus dsl-ac88u) last Monday and have to say the speeds where amazingly stable for 3-4 days straight, download speeds at its highest consistently and low pings (which was very good for my gaming).

However, since Thursday night the internet began getting REALLY bad, even worse then the previous router, we're talking about 100 to over 1000 ping as well as 0.2 mb download at one point. I've exhausted my options in the router settings too. When i reset the router, most of the time the speed returns to normal but only for a short while before, it goes back to being ridiculously slow again. I'm wondering if theirs something wrong on plusnet's side or is their anyone that can provide me with some options, thank you

31 REPLIES 31
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Really Slow speeds

First thing to check is your phoneline.

Do you have a dialtone?

If you dial 17070 does identify your number?

Is a quiet line test quiet?

hamid_m_h
Dabbler

thanks for the reply,

i did the test 3 times, the first time i was hearing some really bad interference, like screeching and popping sounds. The second and third time it was fine, just the normal background noise. Im thinking of trying this test again, maybe when the internet starts going slow again then maybe i can get the same interference i was getting in the first test. If that is the case, what shall i do now? 

hamid_m_h
Dabbler

i did the quiet line test another 5 times, its all quiet now and normal now(even while the internet is going slow)

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are you sure you've connected everything up correctly? The screeching you are hearing could be the ADSL tones, which suggests you could be missing a filter.
hamid_m_h
Dabbler

yes im pretty sure everything is connected properly and im not getting any weird sounds after the first test (no idea what caused it). My internet randomly stabilises itself (like now its fine) and then maybe in 5 minutes or 10, 30 ,40 minutes later it will just go really slow again as if someone just flipped a switch and its fluctuating all over the place

Browni
Aspiring Hero

What are you seeing on the System log->DSL log tab?
hamid_m_h
Dabbler

Right now, the connection is fine again duno when it will drop again. But this is what the log shows now. I know it dark, if you can just highlight it. Also took a screenshot if you to download it where its more clearer

DSL Information
DSL Driver Version A2pvfbH043k.d26r
DSL Link Status Link up
DSL Uptime days 2 hours 48 minute(s) 5 seconds
DSL modulation ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
ANNEX Mode ANNEX A
Current Profile  
System Vendor ID Infineon:0x71c8
System Vendor Model ID 41327076666248303433670000000000
Modem Vendor ID Infineon:0x71c8
Line Status
  Downstream Upstream
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
ON
ON
SNR 12.1 dB 6.3 dB
Line Attenuation 32.0 dB 13.7 dB
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Data Rate 12799 kbps 1219 kbps
MAX Rate 12964 kbps 1224 kbps
POWER 0 dbm 12.4 dbm
CRC 95 40
HEC 425 26
ES 407 223
SES 29 0
FEC 0 0
INP 0 symbols 0 symbols

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You're getting a fair amount of CRC errors there. Keep your eye on that screen and pick up your phone, do the CRCs increase?
hamid_m_h
Dabbler

i checked the log again, CRC seems to have increased itself without me touching the phone but i have no idea what any of this means

Browni
Aspiring Hero

CRC=cyclic redundancy check.
An increase in them indicates more noise/interference but other stats need to be taken into consideration to get a full picture.
The fact they are present on both up down indicates a noisy line.
hamid_m_h
Dabbler

what other stats should i be taking into consideration? and if my line is noisy, what can i do to fix it?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

If your phone line is noisy then you need to report a phone fault to whoever supplies your phone service. You will never get reliable broadband until this is fixed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hamid_m_h
Dabbler

ive disconnected the phone line, yet i still experience the slow broadband

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Sorry but you misunderstand. Do a quiet ine test: plug a wired phone into the master socket then dial 17070 and select option 2. If the line is noisy then there is a problem with the phone line which has to be fixed first as this will most likely be the cause of your broadband problem. Disconnecting your phone will not help, you must report the noisy line to however you pay for the phone line, which might not be Plusnet 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'