cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Slow Broadband

tszyan
Hooked

Really Slow Broadband

Recently I've been experiencing internet speed much lower than before. When I went to check the line speed, it says that my current line speed is only 2.7 Mb, which is much lower than the estimated line speed of 12 Mb. Is this the reason for my slow internet? If so (or if not), how can this be fix?

20 REPLIES 20
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Really Slow Broadband

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  There can be a multitude of reason why your broadband is (or appears to be) running slow.

Those speeds you have reported, are they from speed tests? If yes were they over wifi or a wired connection?  Best start with all of the basics.  Take a look at the speed issues topic - see the link below.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tszyan
Hooked

Thank you for your reply.

For the Kitz line check

Distance from the exchange:

Direct: - 464 metres

By Road: 0.8 km

For the Kitz BT checker

Untitled.png

TG582n Router stats

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:49
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,236 / 2,268
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 33.73 / 447.08
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.8 / 30.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 18.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / 18
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,824
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 500 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):

756 / 0

BT Speed Test

Untitled2.png

Finally,

The current line speed: 2.7 Mb

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi there, sorry to hear your having broadband issues. I've had a check of your connection from this side and their definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere given the testing of your line below:

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 17.8 30.0
SNR Margin: 5.3 18.0
Errored Seconds: 84 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 63889 171174
Speed: 1236 2268

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 14752 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 11802
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 7825 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 804
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 489
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

It shows we are only getting just over 2.2Mbps to the router in terms of download and this will be because of the signal strength being set so high and from the looks of the profile the speed has been banded "WBC 1M - 2M Medium delay". This will be all done by the automated system to try and get around what ever is causing errored seconds with the connection. When running a test on your line however it didn't find a fault on the line despite the line quality showing red. It doesn't mean there isn't one there however and just means we need to run through a few checks your side before going down the route of raising a fault and getting an engineer out to investigate.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket and seeing if the speed returns without errors, I'm putting the settings on your line back to normal so you may notice an intermittent connection and some drops but this will allow you to see if any of the checks done get the connection and speed back to normal. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

Let us know how you get on your side and as mentioned if the steps above don't resolve the issue we will look towards raising a fault.

Kind regards,

Ben

tszyan
Hooked

I've been through the recommended basic checks, and everything seems fine. My router is connected to the test socket yet that doesn't seem to have any difference.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you done a quiet line test with a corded phone? 

tszyan
Hooked

Yes, I did that as part of the recommended basic checks and I did not hear noises

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Did the trouble-shooter take you through to be able to report a fault?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you please post new router stats?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Looking at your connection, something happened yesterday that caused no connection, since it's come back it appears to be more stable...

Your line is banded, likely as a result of those drops...

Profile Info: WBC 1M - 2M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

I've just removed the banding now, should take effect within about 10 minutes.

You may notice the router resync as part of the process.

Let us know how your speed looks following that?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tszyan
Hooked

Router Stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 15:30:54
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,240 / 13,995
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.31 / 8.83
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.8 / 30.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 36 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 192 / 30
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 43,398
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 229
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4,137

Untitled.png

Estimated line speed:12Mb

Current line speed:2.7 Mb

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Something odd here - was that current speed figure taken at the same time as everything else? The reported PN profile (current speed) does not correlate with the BT profile or the reported speed test results.

Makes me wonder if the PN profile (somehow) has no influence on your line?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm not in the office now but it's likely the connection profile on the account hasn't updated since I removed the banding. If they're provisioned on the dedicated network (I've stopped saying "new") then that profile will have little impact on the throughput.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Anoush,

That is what I've started to wonder given hints elsewhere. Is that little impact or zero impact?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As far I've seen, it's zero impact.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet