Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading TBB Ping Graphs

shure
Grafter

Re: Reading TBB Ping Graphs

@AndyH
Netgear DG834PN.  Couldn't get a stable connection at all with the Technicolour and think I never managed to make one last more than a few hours before getting a disconnect.  Gaming and Skype was also impossible with it.  With the Netgear I at least maintain a connection for days at a time (in fact, it's only ever gone down because I've disconnected it while using the test or master socket etc).
I don't want to paint too bleak a picture.  On the whole, with a few minor niggles, my connection is OK.  I will say that I only ever appear to get an even remotely stable or consistently usable connection when using the ptn gateways in Telehouse North.  The others just don't do it for me at all and I get TBB graphs that look like they're bleeding, there's so much red in them.  So when I make any changes I usually have to reconnect several times before getting a gateway I'm comfortable with.  With the Technicolour it would have been impossible as it dropped too many times, but the Netgear seems fairly reliable.  It's just frustrating that the graphs don't always seem to tally with what I experience and this makes them difficult to read
shure
Grafter

@AndyH
yes, the graph matches my current IP address, which has been up 2 days and 11 hours so far, since moving from the test socket.  the test socket one was clearly from another IP address, but also using the ptn gateway
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: shure
I don't want to paint too bleak a picture.  On the whole, with a few minor niggles, my connection is OK.  I will say that I only ever appear to get an even remotely stable or consistently usable connection when using the ptn gateways in Telehouse North.  The others just don't do it for me at all and I get TBB graphs that look like they're bleeding, there's so much red in them.  

er.. I'm quite concerned about that.
Has this always been the case?  Or got bad recently?  Or last year?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
shure
Grafter

I only joined last month so couldn't say Grin
I had a number of issues when I joined but they largely went away when I changed routers.  I also had some internal wiring issues which I hopefully resolved by completely removing and re-installing a badly wired extension socket. 
As far as I can remember, the only time I've ever had the Netgear drop a connection on me was when I was not connected to Telehouse North (with the latter, I managed to stay connected for over a week before I manually disconnected in order to use the test socket).  I also found that other gateways caused immediate, very noticeable packet loss spikes in the TBB graphs, while gaming suffered immensely from lag and jerky frames.  It was also impossible to use video in Skype.  After a few goes of this I just made sure that I was connected to a ptn gateway and I found the stability to be much improved.  Now I can at least use the TBB graphs to monitor my connection, which was not possible before.
shure
Grafter

...and I'm now getting CRC errors where before the line was completely flat.  Any ideas?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

FYI, we're doing some more work tomorrow morning to try and help alleviate the problem:
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1360258611.htm
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shure
Grafter

OK, thanks Chris