cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: sync speed question for PN

PeteED

Hi
not wishing to hijack this thread but I have a question about a similar problem. A few weeks ago my normally stable connection stated to drop out on rainy days. To cut to the chase I have had BT out and they replaced the wire to my pole. This sorted out the problem of a low SNR and now it is sitting at 10db and stable even on this weeks misty rainy days.
It has been stable for the last 4 days and is now synced at 7392 but my speed is 455K. I am worried about switching the router off as this might prompt the system to think it has gone unstable again. 
Does the community think a switch off and leave for 10 mins wil improve my speed?javascript:void(0);
for info before the problem it was a constant 3.5M ish I am <1Km form a BT exchange with the router plugged into the master socket .
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Topic split - it is much better to start your own.
First - switching off the router for 10 minutes will have no bad effect but it is better to do it during daylight hours to get the best sync speed
Second can you post the results from the BT speedtest and also the information from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
PeteED

Hi
BT speed test results posted. (I can't do the one last test as my router won't let me blank the password)
Also plusnet test as capture2
jim:green telephone number removed from image ][/color]
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi PeteED,
From that information, your PlusNet profile hasnt caught up with your BT Profile. It should happen automatically assuming the BT systems inform PLusNet, sometimes it doesnt quite happen like that. You should be able to get it corrected immediately if you call the CSC. Tell them that your BT IP profile is at 6500 but your PlusNet one is still at 500. They should be able to correct your PlusNet there and then , and a disconnect and reconnect should sort out your speeds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeteED

Hi
I rang the service desk. 15 mins of holding to be told that they can't do any thing till Monday at the earliest!. and then only if I ring back again and have not rebooted my router. I am getting feed up with being told it is my end when I have spent >£200this week having all the internal and external wire replaced and borrowing second routers etc. Why can't the services desk believe that the fault is at their end!
Sorry for the rant but I seem to be going round in circles one side says reboot the other says we can see you connection is unstable because it had "drooped" the line so we won t increase the speed.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If your router stats still show you are connected at the same sync speed (7392kbps) and Current line speed in the Member Centre (same link as Oldjim provided) still shows 500kbps what you have been told by the CSC is not correct. It's nothing to do with your fault - they (or perhaps a supervisor) can reset the latter value to match the BT's IP Profile (6500) in seconds.
Despite the wait I suggest ringing again and if told again that nothing can be done until Monday ask to speak to a supervisor. Something very definitely can be done to sort that out.
David
PS. On reflection it is possible the agent checked what BT's systems say your IP Profile is. The system they query might well still say 500kbps - there are two different records of this and they have been known to 'disagree'. Perhaps that's what the agent meant by the answer you were given. However there is no reason why they shouldn't take your word for it for the moment and reset the value.
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I rang the service desk. 15 mins of holding to be told that they can't do any thing till Monday at the earliest!. and then only if I ring back again and have not rebooted my router!

That is absolute rubbish! they can change your PlusNet profile to match the BT one instantly!. I hope one of the Comms Team picks up on this and 'educates' the CSC person involved!
Edit : spraxyt types faster than me!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeteED

Hi all thanks for the support
I made contact with plusnet via the ticket system and finally managed to find someone who knew what I wanted.
Two personal phone calls on a Sunday morning have finally got my IP profile updated.
hopefully this is the last time i have this problem I have now taped my router power plug to the wal to stop ANY inadvertent pulling out
Thanks again
PeteED
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry this wasn't completed on your first call in, I'll take a look at your account and see who you spoke to and give them some feedback on how to do this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.