Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Persistent Dropped Connections.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've requested a reset for you to push the noise margin down to 6db.
It should take effect in the next 4 hours or so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
lenny
Grafter

thanks, the connections has just dropped and come straight back on with the up snr now at 16db and down stream at snr 5.9db and a sync speed of up  4128kbps and an upstream of  448kbps, the connection had been up for 21hrs 41mins with no disconnects
thanks
lenny
Grafter

dropped again last night 21.12 and straight back up again Sad but kept same sync and snr
dropped again this morning at 7.02am straight down  and straight back up Angry same snr but higher sync.
i have been going around the house turning things on and of with routerstats running and can not replicate any drops to the snr,
edited 07.55 for added comments
lenny
Grafter

and again 11.01am  Angry
lenny
Grafter

i have had a reply back from plusnet  on my message's
Dear Mr xxxxxx
I have tested the line today and have been unable to find any present fault.
I can see from our systems that your router is online and that your connection & speed are all performing within expectations.
Whilst your connection is having a few drops these are within expectations for your line. Your connection can drop up to 10 times within a 24 hour period before it would be considered a fault. .

could i ask why the graph is showing as not on line for 16 days as my router was on and connected to the internet

so it looks as though that is that , can i get my ip speed  profile raised please
thanks for all the comments and replies from members and Plusnet staff
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Lenny,
I suspect that the answer to your 16 day question can be found in this thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139705.msg1235001.html#msg1235001 - note my reference to the billion router is in respect of the log you posted here.
There are some known issues with the radius plots - if the one I am thinking of applies to your plot, then something ain't right here - long periods of incorrectly reported no connection are reputedly down to there being TOO MANY PPP SESSION EVENTS to be plotted correctly.  Which would rather match your perceptions!
10 DCNs per day without DLM doing damage is not really an acceptable excuse for pretending nothing is wrong or capable of being improved.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lenny
Grafter

to be honest i had a read of what you had linked to and it went straight over the top of my head Smiley
i have tried 2 plusnet routers ( one of them brand new) and the drops still occur , i have this billion router now and its holding better than the plusnet ones,
i was a bit miffed by the reply about the 10 DCNs per day and did wonder if that had been added as i asked a question about the same thing on here not more than 24 hours ago,
i have kept a log of the last few days drops and can not tie them in with any activity in the house , there have been 2/3 disconnects by myself to change cables and update router firmware,
if plusnet say there is not a problem where do i go from here ,
the £50 call out fee if the problem is mine would be worth paying just to get to the bottom of it
thanks for you reply Townman
LeeL

Hi Lenny,
The 10 drops in a 24 hour period is standard I'm afraid. The drops only tend happen for a few seconds and rarely go noticed. So the brief drops in connection doesn't have too much of an impact on the service.
Now with the length of your line, the odd drop in connection is to be expected and judging by the speed results from our testing. It is also performing above the BT Estimates or on the higher end scale of things.
If you still feel there is a problem we will still continue to investigate for you, however I don't imagine it getting much better. I also feel the £50 engineers fee would be a waste of money at this point.
I'm sorry if this sounds a little blunt. I thought you might appreciate my thoughts on the matter.
Please respond to the fault raised on your account if you still feel there is a problem.
Lee
Smiley
lenny
Grafter

Many thanks for your comments Lee , on average the drops last for about 40 seconds , not good when streaming a movie
I understand that I am on a long line and that I am at the top end of the sync speed ,this has not come with out cost ,£100 for a good router,  cost of replacing old adsl cables with cat5 ADSL cables, cost of having a new electric socket to power router , the back hander to BT man to get a line straight from the junction box in to the property( kidding about the back hander ) the cost of the postage and having to extend my contract with plusnet for a new router, I will leave as is at the moment and just continue to moniter and if it gets any worse I will open another fault .
I would appreciate if you could lift my IP profile to 3.5/4 mb
Many thanks all
Chris
lenny
Grafter

i have just been reading about blip logic from the plus net help pages
7. Blip Logic
20CN products only
Some customers have very stable lines, but for one reason or another can occasionally see a one-off sync rate at a lower speed. The use of 'Blip logic' means if a stable line, (one that hasn't seen a IP profile decrease in the last 14 days), experiences a short drop in sync rate and then goes straight back up again, it won't result in a wait for the IP profile to catch up, although a second drop would lower the IP profile.
so in theory even if i continue to have the random drops on my line i will gradually see my line speed slow down once i start to drop below my ip profile , unless i resync my router manually each morning to enable it to sync at a higher  rate

would having the ip profile set to 4mb  and then using the facility on the billion 7800n router to sync at a specific snr work
thamks
lenny
Grafter

my connection has dropped again resulting in my snr going back up to 9.1 , if this continues i will end up at 18db  snr , can we get this sorted please
lenny
Grafter

i was just on the phone and the connection dropped again ,ended my call straight away and did a quiet line test loud crackling and heavy static noise and the connection dropped again , its very windy here today and as we live right on the coast its very open
routerstat graph attached
the upstream is now 256kbps and the upstream snr has dropped from 16db to 7db again the down stream snr  9.6db and 3808kbps
do i have to report this again or can it just be escalated please
lenny
Grafter

am i been ignored  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Lenny,
Nothing much more I can add at present.
CRT do not work Sunday's, hopefully this will get picked upon on Monday by one of the senior guys.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lenny
Grafter

Thanks Kevin Smiley I thought they maybe off for the weekend