cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Internet Dies several times a day.

Rsebrie
Grafter

My internet has died fully on me several times a day for around a month now. My advice is just to not care.

It normally sorts itself out within half an hour or so.

I just say to myself that its a Wal Mart internet company that I'm with, and that the cheap and cheerful package is worth it. Even though it's not cheap and it's definitely not cheerful. But, hey, ho. If I didn't lie to myself I'd have gone MAD by now. (I am officially mad, I remember, I have a document that even says it)

Ah, in that case, thanks Plus.net for reminding me that I'm MAD and that I might as well see if I can set up a direct debit to some Elves and Pixies to see if they can give me the fabled, and magic "internet"

You know the one that connects you to the whole internet, not just the parts they want to sell you stuff on, but the stuff that most ISP's block now because they think they have everyone's permission.

Thanks for selling me an internet with only 40 % of it.

And thanks, because your service reminds me that I'm mad. Mental illness isn't easy, and thx for ruining any chance of reliable internet from you.

Your making me insanely proud of everything, failure or not.

Time to take my medication and get those Elves and pixies bank details......

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue.

15 REPLIES 15
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Post moved to it's own thread for better visibility and title changed to reflect issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Rsebrie
Grafter

Thank you, but you might as well just delet this post. I was frustrated and came here to vent at first, it was only later after venting somewhat, I regained composure and seeked help.

So far my internet hasn't crashed on me fully in the last hour so I'm happy.

I gave up trying to play my game online though. And my internet browser keeps crashing and saying "so and so is not responding" so sites aren't loading and it crashing my browser, but I can still intermiternanly get on.

I'm currently trying to watch a stream, so far (15 minutes in) so good.

I've probably had more than my fair share of help as twice since joining you you've helped by reseting my line and increasing its signal, so at least you did something about, unlike BT whom I left to join you.

I don't really mind when it doesn't work. I will just try not to let it get me MAD and try again later.

But if I could get that bar chart like you normally are good enough to do I would be chuffed.

Also if I receive a telephone call whilst being in a game or streaming, after about 20 seconds my stream or game will crash, is that normal? I didn't think it was supposed to do that. Anyway, live and learn.

Sorry if I was rude. I mean that, I've valued your help previously. It's been a hot day and I really wanted just 1 win in my game today...

Inner Peace...Deep breath.... Fingers Crossed.thx, and srry again

Richard

Rsebrie
Grafter

I've just managed to get 3 games of Halo 5 Warzone done. I well chuffed with myself, but not my internet. It (with in the last 5 minutes) has just totally died on me again. Mid match of course.

So my internet is lasting around an hour and a half at most at present without having to fully reset it all by powering it all off at the plugs.

I make sure no other devices are connected, so there's nothing downloading in the background either.

Any ideas what I can do?

thx

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Richard,

Having checked your connection from this side it seems the signal strength is aiming to low again which explains the intermittent connection your side. I have placed the order to put the settings where they should be again so if you reset the router in a hours time the connection should be back to normal for you. I have also contacted our suppliers to pin the settings this time so they don't revert back.

Kind regards, Happy gaming!

Ben

Rsebrie
Grafter

Thank You Ben

Thank You

Turning Router etc all off at 1.30Pm it is.

Fingers crossed

kind regards

richard 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Hi Richard,

You can bet the whole of Wal Mart that if you have a connectivity stability issue, that the problem is within your home or within the BT owned wires / exchange equipment.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as though Gandalf has adjusted the SNRM for your line.  Normally it should be 6dB.  On good lines connectivity can be maintained at 3dB delivering a bit more raw synch speed ... sometimes though that can lead to instability.  Sight of your router stats would be helpful...

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rsebrie
Grafter

Mode:

ADSL_2plus

Traffic Type:

ATM

Up

Link Power State:

L0

Downstream

Upstream

Line Coding(Trellis):

On

On

SNR Margin (1 dB):

Attenuation (1 dB):

Output Power (1 dBm):

Attainable Rate (Kbps):

Path 0

Path 1

Downstream

Upstream

Downstream

Upstream

Rate (Kbps):

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message):

B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame):

M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):

T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):

R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):

S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):

L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame):

D (interleaver depth):

Delay (msec):

INP (DMT symbol):

Super Frames:

Super Frame Errors:

RS Words:

RS Correctable Errors:

RS Uncorrectable Errors:

HEC Errors:

OCD Errors:

LCD Errors:

Total Cells:

Data Cells:

Bit Errors:

Total ES:

Total SES:

Total UAS:

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Speed Test Results
Download Speed 5.83
Upload Speed 0.94
Ping 41.93
I have the 2704n Router and everything is plugged in correctly, and yet today my internet has totally died on me all day. Ive lost count how many times my Xbox has lost connection to Xbox Live when the network goes down.
Normally right before I'm just about to finish a level.
I'm going to ring in today to see if I can cancel my contract. I thought I could actually just grin and bear it - Walmart internet and all.
But yeah, really I'm fuming and quite saddened by it all again. Every freakin month since Ive joined Plus.Net I've had to ring in or come to the forums! Every freakin month my line gets reset and fault checked, and still, yet again every month it goes down like it knows no different. thx again for trying here on the forums but I think its time I made that phone call.
Poor show, really poor show. I'm voting no confidence and leaving..
thx again all
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the router data.  It looks like the BT equipment is aggressively managing your line for errors - 12.6dB DS SNRM is twice what it should be normally.  Do you know how long that connection has been up?

What self-help tests have you performed?  See the speed issues link below.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Have you raised a fault report?  See link below.

@Gandalf - can you please provide a VR plot to see if the user is experiencing PPP drops or are we also looking at a Wi-Fi problem?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Richard,

Do the drops above look like the times you have been having issues ... or time you have been doing things with the router?  Disconnections do not look too bad (better than the implication of your post) which might point to more of a wifi problem than an internet connectivity issue.  Friday, Saturday and Sunday were completely uninterrupted - as far as the connection between your home and the exchange is concerned.

Rsebrie
Grafter

"Isn't as bad as my implications" lol, thx

My internet cuts of fully for several minutes after each telephone call I receive.

But then I cannot use the phone as it's got so much noise on the line, I can't hear whom I talking too.

Ive spoken to dozens of help staff so far since joining. As this intranet (censored internet) I'm paying for 

I don't receive,

You think I'd be able to use my home phone, it's not like 

I'm not paying for that either

but hey ho, I'm now waiting 2 weeks for a BT engineer to come and fob me off.

i will be leaving Plus.net soon. As I have around 2 months to live.

and your going to charge me for dying I suppose...

thx for the condesending reply, that was mine in response.

do whatever it is you do, but thankfully I won't be around much longer to see it

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Richard,

A phone quiet line test was one of the things you were requested to do. Whilst there is noise on the line - a voice fault - broadband is not going to work well. If there is a fault on the line, transferring ISPs will not fix the problem and it will be the same BT engineers who attend to investigate matters. Does Plusnet supply your phone service? If yes please use the phone fault reporter.

Rsebrie
Grafter

The fault was reported a few days ago over the phone. I had to use my mobile phone for the call as when the plus,net person did they're tests and phoned me back we couldn't hear each other due to the noise.

my wall mart internet has been doing this for weeks. I'm slowly learning to adapt to the intermittent nature of it.

my partner was in hospital for the last 3 days though due to suspected stroke and not being able to use the home phone just [-Censored-]ed me off too much. Hence the call to support on the mobile.

the engineer will come in 2 weeks or so and fob me off I'm sure.

also every time the hospital, careers, doctors phone me I can't hear them, and they always use the home phone for security issues. It makes my upcoming triple heart surgery also awkward to communicate about. I will stop before I get angry about it...

as I said I'm used to wall mart Internet and yes your quite correct, it wouldn't matter what isp I went with.

theyd all censor it the same anyway...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Richard,

Sorry to learn of your family troubles - the worse of times for a phone fault. A phone fault should normally be resolved within 72 hours - subject to engineer availability and access to the property. Is Plusnet your phone service provider?