cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Connection constantly dropping and very slow speeds.

andrealouise

I've also had problems with ADSL broadband for over 2 weeks. I thought it was finally sorted when Plusnet said they had switched off interleaving on the line. Speeds went back up to over 4 MB. Today I had a text from a Plusnet engineer to say he had fixed the line and that I should reboot the router after 4 hours. I did this and now the speeds have crashed to below 0.5. This saga sees never ending and I question what i am paying for as it is so bad.
BTWholesale Test 14 July 10.15 pm via ethernet connection to the router
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.48 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.52 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.6 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.6Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Dick:green Post split off to it's own topic so it doesn't get lost.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: andrealouise
IP Profile for your line is - 8.52 Mbps

That looks like your issue has been resolved, but the Current Line Speed profile held by Plusnet has not yet caught up.
This is generally updated about 5 times a day. If yours is showing around 8.5Mb but your speeds are still slow, then the best advice would be to log in to your router interface, disconnect, wait 30 seconds or so and then reconnect - no need to reboot the router.
If you're not sure how to access your router interface, post back with the make and model and someone will be able to tell you.
Roguesith
Dabbler

I'm having a similar issue, my connection drops randomly and I can't get a download speed higher than 0.2 Mbps when it decides to 'work'. It's like being stuck in the dial up days again. I'm paying plusnet for a service that is a fraction of what I should be getting and for various other services that require a 'normal' broadband connection. It's been 3 days with no response from the ticket I raised, I recently decided to upgrade to fibre and I'm waiting on the new router and an engineer to fit it so maybe that's why they haven't responded yet. I am starting to regret that decision though, if they can't get standard broadband working right what's the fibre going to be like . . . ?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@andrealouise
Your connection hadn't dropped since the profile had updated however I've done that now so you should be fine.
@Roguesith
Chris is picking your issue up in your forum thread.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Roguesith
Dabbler

Seen that, seems much better now, only a week until I get fibre installed so hopefully it lasts 🙂
Thanks
Toucan

How do you turn interleaving off.  Our speeds have been appalling the last few days and are connected directly to the main box following a recent service ticket for almost the same problem.  On a static IP which does not seem to make a difference.  Looking at fibre but relunctant to proceed due to the appalling speeds and considering moving supplier!  Upload is higher than download and like a snail.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Toucan
We can turn interleaving off however if your having problems with your line it could make things worse. Have you tried running through our troubleshooter using the link below?
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team