Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range Extended ADSL

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Range Extended ADSL

Does anyone know anything about Range Extended ADSL (RE-ADSL) for rural areas far from the exchange ?
3 REPLIES 3
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Range Extended ADSL

RE-ADSL, or ADSL2 Annex L (not ADSL2+) is not supported in the UK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.3_Annex_L
Due to the cross-talk it can introduce, it is (or at least wasn't as of September 2011) not licensed under the ANFP (Access Network Frequency Plan)
shermans
Pro

Hi Phil
Thanks for the reply which sounds like I am on the right track.  To be fair, this has nothing to do with my Plusnet account at all - I wish it did !  I have a house in France where I pay four times as much in rental for my broadband as I do with Plusnet in the UK for a lousy, unreliable 512 kb service, and if anything goes wrong, I just get the usual "Gallic shrug" and  verbal "Prrr." !  Not even the dear old GPO Telephone was ever as bad in terms of customer service, but then France Telecom is of course a good old state monopoly and have no real competition.  So much for my problems !
Now, I live in a very rural community in the UK, a couple of miles from the exchange but get about 6Mb download speed with Plusnet.  In France, I live in an identical environment but I have only just discovered that I receive Range Extended ADSL which may explain a lot of things.  The internet is always falling out.  I listen to UK radio using a dedicated Internet Radio (not on the computer), and the BBC is always dropping out.  VOIP and Skype are painful while landline telephone rates are of course prohibitively expensive - it is actually cheaper to use my UK Virgin mobile phone despite the roaming charges, but only if I can get a signal !  And one of the major problems I face is that, while I can control the central heating remotely using a DTMF tele-switch, I regularly get a "fax hand-shake" tone interrupting the call to the tele-switch which stops it connecting.
In view of what you say about "cross-over" I wonder whether at last I have found the explanation for this "fax handshake" ?  Could the RE-ADSL be the cause by any chance ?  I would be grateful for your opinion and for your thoughts on the various other problems which I have mentioned.
shermans
Pro

Does anyone have any thoughts on this please ?