Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random frequent loss of internet connection

edcherie
Hooked

Random frequent loss of internet connection

Hi,

For the past several days, I think since the first of November, I keep losing internet connect randomly and sometimes very frequently. It did not depend on the time of day as I lost connection in the morning, midday and night times. Is there a fault with my line? If I can provide some information about it please let me know.

8 REPLIES 8
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Random frequent loss of internet connection

Thanks for your post @edcherie.

We're sorry to hear of your connectivity woes.

On testing the line, we're detecting a potential 'loop condition'. This can either be a fault or can be caused by something in your setup and so we'll need to do a spot of troubleshooting to determine which.

Please unplug all equipment and plug your router directly into the test socket, as illustrated below:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you can let us know here once you've gotten set up we'll test again.

If the fault has disappeared from our diagnostics, we can be sure that it's probably an issue with your set up.

If it's still present, we'll need to arrange for an engineers visit.

edcherie
Hooked

Thank you for your response. I have now connected the router to the test socket.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@edcherie,

I've run some testing and the line's now no longer even in sync. Can you confirm that the router's definitely powered up? If it is then I think the best best is to go down the fault route, if you can raise us the initial report here and let us know we'll get it progressed for you. 

edcherie
Hooked

Hi JOLO,

Yes, it is powered up but not internet and broadband light is flashing green.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @edcherie 

I've tested your line and the tests are now showing a potential line fault which is likely to be causing the problems with your broadband connection. I've reported this through to our suppliers and we've been provided an estimated response time of by 11/11/19 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
edcherie
Hooked

UPDATE:

So an engineer replaced the master socket for me and disconnected the secondary as I wasn't using it anyways. The internet doesn't disconnect as it was previously as well the internet speeds went up to expected levels (it was way below what I expected, most of the times at the minimum threshold) but now I have packet loss issue, especially while gaming. Is it possible to know what could be the source of this problem?

edcherie
Hooked

That probably was too early to state from me. The problems are back, but less frequent. As well the speed again dropped to same lows as previously, just above minimum and loss of packets. I made some tracing when I looked online, don't know if it is helpful but I attach it to this post: Annotation 2019-11-09 195158.png

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @edcherie,

Thank you for getting back in touch and for letting us know that your master socket has been replaced. I'm sorry to see that the connection issues have returned, despite your connection improving initially.

I've raised this fault back to our suppliers for further investigation and we should receive an update within 24 - 72 hours. Our faults team will contact you once we've received the update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team