cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REIN Issue Still Present - Upstream Capped to 888kbps

mdc
Grafter

REIN Issue Still Present - Upstream Capped to 888kbps

Some of you may remember the REIN issues I was having previously; this was "investigated" by OpenReach; apparently they found a REIN issue in the area, but determined it not to be service-affecting, and claimed it was resolved anyway, and subsequently closed the investigation. My best guess is that they came out at a time when the issue wasn't present, and therefore didn't actually do anything about the actual issue.
This has been re-raised with PlusNet, so waiting to hear back on that.
In the meantime, however, I called up the other night to request that my upstream be uncapped from 888kbps. I was told, incorrectly, by a rather rude individual - that the speed isn't capped at 888, and that it's just coincidence that it's synced at 888 for the past 2 months. I attempted to educate him to the fact that 21CN kit caps the upstream to 888 when upstream interleaving is enabled, regardless of target SNR. This is NOT a matter of my line only being capable of 888 up; I'm currently sitting at a 14dB upstream SNR, so there's plenty of unused bins which could take it up higher. In fact, when I first with PlusNet, before the troubleshooting the REIN issue, my upstream was around 1200kbps.
Eventually I got rather frustrated and asked to speak to his supervisor, and was told that none were available. After hearing that, I hung up, called back and spoke to someone else, and asked to have upstream interleaving disabled. They said that this would be done within 24 hours, which it wasn't. I then called up a few days later and spoke to a nice lady who said she'd also perform a reset, but again - a few days later - interleaving is still enabled upstream.
Is there anyone from customer support here who can ACTUALLY reset my line profile to 160-24834/Off/6 : 32-Uncapped/Off/6?
6 REPLIES 6
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: REIN Issue Still Present - Upstream Capped to 888kbps

Hmm. I have yet to see the proof that Upstream Interleaving limits the speed to 888. It's definitely a banded speed. Whether it is actually related to the depth of interleaving I don't know but I know I've seen lines with an Interleaved Upstream syncing higher than 888. I can find no reference in any BT document relating this banded speed to Interleaving. So rather than perpetuating this story, it would be good if someone could reference the relevant BT document.
In the meantime someone from CRT should be able to do an SNR Reset for you with Interleaving turned off.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi mdc, sorry to hear the previous agents didn't remove interleaving following your requests for this.
I will be passing feedback on to the previous agents and I've now placed the order for this to be removed, this should complete some time on Monday.
Hope this helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mdc
Grafter

Quote from: HBeesley
Hi mdc, sorry to hear the previous agents didn't remove interleaving following your requests for this.
I will be passing feedback on to the previous agents and I've now placed the order for this to be removed, this should complete some time on Monday.
Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Smiley
@Anotherone, this seems to be the most relevant piece of information supporting this I can find.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/entanet/3624879-adsl2-upstream-speed-see-here.html
From what I can gather, it's not a function of BT's network per se, but rather the IFTN-based DSLAMs that I - and many others - are connected to as part of the 21CN infrastructure. The problem is also present, anecdotally, in other countries using similar DSLAMs with IFTN chipsets.
Anotherone
Champion

Sync is never a function of BT's network, it's always related to the modem (and it's chipset) and the exchange MSAN/DSLAM (and it's chipset).
The thread you've linked demonstrates the inconsistency that I know exists, but again it is not a BT spec. Some connections with Interleaving will sync above 888 some won't. I've yet to find anything that clearly shows the exact conditions that determine this.
mdc
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Sync is never a function of BT's network, it's always related to the modem (and it's chipset) and the exchange MSAN/DSLAM (and it's chipset).

Apologies, I meant it's not common to ALL 21CN setups; it seems to just be those which use the Infineon-based Huawei MSANs.
Anotherone
Champion

To be clear, I have seen connections with MSANs using IFTN chipsets that have been syncing above 888 with Interleaving.