cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE your web page as been archived

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: RE your web page as been archived

Its even worse now the very first Google.uk item if you A380 in Iceland picture,
could you miss name Airbus to throw them off the scent?
Not applicable

Rename the picture to be something like the standard names used by Digi camera manufacturers. Should help it get lost in the pile Wink
DSC00243.jpg or P0007584.jpg should do it.
It will just become another anonymous picture on the internet then, and won't appear in searches for Airbus A380 pictures. Now you are at the top of Google, things will only ever get worse unless you take decisive action.
puddy
Grafter

thanks for tip  I did not know that i was at the top listing under airbus
I will rename it but I will have ago at making a robot file renaming the picture and put a meta file link in the web site.
kind regards
Michael
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: MauriceC
Was this the link Mike?

Ah-ha, could well be ... and that quite possibly explains why I couldn't find it on the portal help pages no matter how long and hard I tried yesterday  Roll_eyes
It looks a bit different from what I remember but the same sort of content covering most of the uses of .htaccess anyway. What I do remember tho is that the info/examples I was using before didn't quite work as intended although I can't see anything obviously wrong on that page at a quick look and it notes that blocking IPs doesn't work with PN. In fact there was a rather lengthy thread on PUG at the time but it's probably so long ago now that I think it might have been purged as I couldn't find that either when I went looking for it to get the link to the help page.
However, the one big thing that isn't mentioned in that tutorial is "RewriteBase" and that's fundamentally important because, as I eventually found out after a phenomenal amount of messing around over many days/weeks back then, nothing much will work properly without setting it.
The RewriteBase directive explicitly sets the base URL for per-directory rewrites. As you will see below, RewriteRule can be used in per-directory config files (.htaccess). There it will act locally, i.e., the local directory prefix is stripped at this stage of processing and your rewriting rules act only on the remainder. At the end it is automatically added back to the path.
When a substitution occurs for a new URL, this module has to re-inject the URL into the server processing. To be able to do this it needs to know what the corresponding URL-prefix or URL-base is. By default this prefix is the corresponding filepath itself. But at most websites URLs are NOT directly related to physical filename paths, so this assumption will usually be wrong! There you have to use the RewriteBase directive to specify the correct URL-prefix.
If your webserver's URLs are not directly related to physical file paths, you have to use RewriteBase in every .htaccess files where you want to use RewriteRule directives.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
mikeb
Rising Star

Puddy, renaming your files and/or directories and changing your own webpage and so on is all well and good but it is NOT going to solve your problem in the long-term. I can still wander onto your website, get the new image location and then add a hotlink to it somewhere else. In fact I have done just now to see if it was still possible. Likewise, google et al can still wander all over your pages and index the text which will then potentially lead peeps to your page where they can also get the URL for your images. You still need to put an appropriate .htacess file in your root directory to deter all but the most devious from stealing your bandwidth.
You have to remember that the moment you put anything even vaguely interesting, amusing or useful on the 'net, someone somewhere will wander along shortly after to pinch it.  It's often bad enough when they just copy your stuff and claim it as their own but when they also expect you to host it and provide the bandwidth for them to display it then that's really taking the ...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: mikeb

However, the one big thing that isn't mentioned in that tutorial is "RewriteBase" and that's fundamentally important because, as I eventually found out after a phenomenal amount of messing around over many days/weeks back then, nothing much will work properly without setting it.
The RewriteBase directive explicitly sets the base URL for per-directory rewrites. As you will see below, RewriteRule can be used in per-directory config files (.htaccess). There it will act locally, i.e., the local directory prefix is stripped at this stage of processing and your rewriting rules act only on the remainder. At the end it is automatically added back to the path.
When a substitution occurs for a new URL, this module has to re-inject the URL into the server processing. To be able to do this it needs to know what the corresponding URL-prefix or URL-base is. By default this prefix is the corresponding filepath itself. But at most websites URLs are NOT directly related to physical filename paths, so this assumption will usually be wrong! There you have to use the RewriteBase directive to specify the correct URL-prefix.
If your webserver's URLs are not directly related to physical file paths, you have to use RewriteBase in every .htaccess files where you want to use RewriteRule directives.

Fancy a bit of a re-write / extension of the tutorial Mike?  PM the plain text and I'll get it revised in UserTools.  Cheesy
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Puddy,
As you've lifted many of those images from elsewhere, you could hotlink to them in their original locations. Or open a flickr account and put the images on there.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Puddy, Have another look at my page http://www.elvin.me.uk/puddys_image.htm
It took me all of 4 minutes to check your page to see where you had moved the image, change my page and upload it.
What you have done is not going to be effective, you have to stop hotlinking using htaccess.
There again someone could post the URL like http://www.puddy.co.uk/golf/DSC00201.jpg and you can't stop that easily. I suggest you look at putting the images elsewhere where they won't count against your bandwidth.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Incidentally, I notice that photo has a copyright notice - do you have permission to use it?
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Puddy, Have another look at my page http://www.elvin.me.uk/puddys_image.htm
It took me all of 4 minutes to check your page to see where you had moved the image, change my page and upload it.
What you have done is not going to be effective, you have to stop hotlinking using htaccess.

\i did have ago at writing a htaccess file but it seems it did not work,  I have never done one before so am not sure how it works
as for the copyright issue I can use the photo as long as I show the copyright info and pay a small fee
Puddy
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: puddy
i did have ago at writing a htaccess file but it seems it did not work,  I have never done one before so am not sure how it works

Puddy, I see no one's commented on my earlier .htaccess code as yet but I'm pretty convinced that it does exactly what it says on the tin ...
... famous last words and all that  Grin 
I've also uploaded it in place of my usual code to check it out and it seems just fine at preventing hotlinking without screwing up my own webpages.  Everything I currently have hotlinked on this forum disappeared but my own webpages were just fine so it will hopefully do the same for you.
It can often be difficult to generate the file in the first place and/or upload it because of the leading "dot" (i.e. the file has no apparent filename just an extension) Try this: Download this zip file which contains a ".htaccess" file with the code I suggested earlier. Unzip it and then try to upload it to your "htdocs" directory. If successful, you will then see a new file ".htaccess" in your "htdocs" directory when you look in that directory in ftp. 
If it doesn't work and your ftp complains about the file name or whatever then try renaming the file to "htaccess.htaccess" locally before you upload it and then rename it back to ".htaccess" on the homepages server after you have uploaded it.
Once you've got it up there by one means or another then your problems should disappear as if by magic !!  To test it works OK, close and restart your browser and/or clear the cache, then try your own webpages to make sure they all work as expected.  Also try Mr.Jelv's links again to make sure that they no longer work.
Any problems then shout because it is possible to do and it will work it's just that it might be a bit of a PITA to get to that point Smiley

puddy
Grafter

I gave the file a go can you see if you can re-access it/hotlink for me please?
The file disappeared like you said it would

Hopefully it will work this time?
Kind regards
Puddy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can I suggest you upload a index.html file to your image directory. Something very simple containing something like
<h1>Get lost!</h1>

At the moment you can get a listing of all the images in the directory.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It appears that hasn't worked. Might it be because my site is on the same server as Puddy's? Can it be hot-linked from elsewhere.