Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE your web page as been archived

puddy
Grafter

RE your web page as been archived

Re question dated Dec 07 to March 08
Since you fixed the reporting issue my web page as not gone down for the past 10 days
I did say I thought something had gone wrong and that 1000's of hits on my web page per hour was getting was incorrectly reported
Thanks to all the staff who helped resolve the issue
Michael
55 REPLIES 55
puddy
Grafter

Re: RE your web page as been archived

I spoke to soon it been archived again
Can sombody at Plusnet find a long standing solution for this problem (false reporting)?
Puddy
account=mjr99
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I honestly don't think this is misreporting, the webstats you can see confirm that your site *is* getting the amount of traffic which would cause this to be archived. Have you tried following some of the advice given previously such as stopping people hotlinking to your images?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puddy
Grafter

yes I did that last month and I have changed my passwords too
my web counter has only moved 12 places and websats is showing a large % unknown hits. 
As I have said before its a boring homepage, its 4 pages long has 9 jpeg photo's which are protected, I dont think anyone would nick pictures of my cat and few boring pages of planes.
I have had this webpage for over 10 years and have never had it taken down to over use before November 07!!!
The false reporting issue came to light after 4 or 5 us received the same abuse message with exactly the same bytes data overused, we had been told this has been happening since Novemeber last year, but it would seem its not been resolved
Bob Pullen was looking in to this problem for us before he went abroad now he back can he restart the investigation?
I do pay plusnet to host this site its not a free hosting
Puddy
puddy=mjr99
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules mod:end
carrot63
Grafter

If the notice is showing the same number of bytes over, it does sound like false reporting. But it might be worth checking your raw log files and just having a quick look over them for an IP that is making a ludicrous number of requests for a file. I've had this problem before, usually with poorly configured proxies in India or China, where they've requested a file (sometimes non-existent) over and over again in spite of any error messages.
One proxy in Hong Kong hit my site 40,000 times in one day for a spacer GIF, compared to the site daily average of 20-30000 hits for all other requests.
Should one IP address stand out, you can serve it a 403 (forbidden) error using a .htaccess file. A 403 request only takes a few bytes out of your bandwidth.
Of course none of this helps if it is indeed false reporting...
puddy
Grafter

looking at the web stats it seems that their are pages with
www.pudy.co.uk/page 1
and another set of files look like below
/page
its the files listed "/page"  that are getting all the hits yet it states I have referred 38180 hits from myself
again the same amount of hits are 91% unknown
the files listed "www.pudy.co.uk" only have 7 hits and thats correct with my web counter
In addition page's of my site have not been archived CSA page from web stats is still live
HELP
Puddy
can someone at plusnet give me call?
carrot63
Grafter

Are the 38180 hits all from one IP, or many?
Does the page www.pudy.co.uk/page actually exist? If so how many bytes is it? Are the requests all for the page itself, or also for embedded graphics?
Edit:
Sorry, re-reading you post it's unclear if you are looking at the "raw" server logs or the stats as presented by webaliser?
puddy
Grafter

The hits are all from me I have been using webstats on the plusnet site
the page www.puddy.co.uk/page do exist but page/2 etc dont and these are the ones with all the hits.
I did ask if somebody from plusnet could call me or pm and I have had no responce.  I wanted my web site and all ftp data wiped so I could reset it up with the correct data.  For some reason and cannot delete them myself
Puddy
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed mod:end
mikeb
Rising Star

I've been following this saga just out of morbid curiosity but I still don't understand why PN can't work out precisely what's going here and provide a definitive explanation even if logfiles aren't technically available for the site in question.
However, I have one suggestion that might help to finally get to the bottom of what's actually going on here if PN really can't do anything themselves. I have several acres of unused webspace on one of my A/Cs and it's just sitting there doing nothing particularly useful except for gathering dust.  I also have detailed logfiles available daily for monitoring purposes because I don't like (and TBH don't trust) the PN stats available via the portal.  It would not be the end of the world if this particular A/Cs webspace ended up being suspended if the resulting logfiles provide all the relevant information as to why this was done.
If you can zip up your entire site contents (including directory structure) and get them to me then I can bung it up on my webspace so that ALL accesses can be monitored to establish who or what is causing this problem. Once uploaded, all you would then need to do is add a suitable redirect in your .hta file to forward any and all attempts to access your site content in your webspace to a near identical location in my webspace. Something like this (although I'm notoriously good at making many fundamental mistakes in my .hta so this might not be 100% correct at the mo but it certainly can be fixed to do the 'right' thing if I currently have it wrong):
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www\.My_Account/PUDDY/$1 [R,L] 
I'm sure there is a better (or more likely to work first time !) way of doing the redirect to a sub-directory in my webspace and someone will no doubt be quick to point it out but that's the sort of entry required anyway.
BTW, I'm pretty sure from past experience that there are permission issues when making large-scale changes to webspace and particularly when trying to delete directories with existing content.  You can easily delete stuff starting at the lowest level and working upwards but not necessarily delete everything by trying to delete a top-level directory.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
carrot63
Grafter

@Mikeb
I don't think there's anything wrong with your rewrite code, but redirecting the requests to your webspace may not work if the clients(s) generating all the requests are poorly configured bots/proxies or malicious in intent, as they may not necessarily pursue the redirect to another domain. Most search engine spiders, for example, will not immediately follow a redirect, but will store the URL and may or may not check it later.
I may have missed it, but didn't see any mention of the raw logs being unavailable, and it would be far better if Puddy could access the these files via FTP under /logs from the top of his user web space. If they are not available to the user, PN should still be able to get hold of them. Even under webaliser/advanced webstats it should list the IP address or hostname under the "hostname" column with the number of hits.
I'd put my money on a "stuck" proxy or site ripper making endless requests from the same IP, which would be easy enough to spot in the logs.
mikeb
Rising Star

You may be right about bots etc. I don't know for sure but I thought that the redirect effectively just serves the data from elsewhere and the user or whatever wouldn't necessarily be aware of that fact - other than perhaps seeing the tweaked url in the browser if it was a true browser request. But I'm not sure that it matters anyway because it should still go some way towards identifying the source of the problem even if it still may not tell the whole story.  Just about everything else suggested to date does absolutely nothing whatsoever to help identify the source of the problem, it's just been poke and hope in the dark.
This is a *very* long running sad and sorry tale but for reasons I can't quite remember, PN have previously stated that logfiles are not available to the user for this particular site.  Your thoughts are basically my first comment absolutely ages ago: why all the poncing around and unhelpful trial and error suggestions from PN, just enable and check the logfiles for god sake and then remember that .hta is your friend !!
I still personally think that PN are being most unhelpful here (regardless of specific circumstances which I may not be fully aware of) because, unless I'm missing the point entirely and PN aren't being particularly up-front about what's going on behind the scenes, logfiles simply must be available within PN Towers at least in order to generate the basic portal stats for the user.
I'll put my money on some [expletive deleted] AOLers have been accessing the users' page(s) at some point in time and their stupid, brain dead and completely useless cache/proxy servers have all been grabbing the very same data several dozen times a day, every single day, ever since.  Grrrrrrr, I  absolutely hate AOL  Angry  I get whole strings of numerous identical accesses from just about all of their d@mn proxies for weeks after one of their users has accessed something of mine.  I've even felt the need to block the proxies I've identified completely in .hta on some occasions when it's been a particularly big file that's apparently being repeatedly DL'd for no good reason.
But like you say, with logfiles it's easy to sort ... but without them it's a complete PITA.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
carrot63
Grafter

I wasn't aware of the previous threads on this, so there may well be arcane reasons no logs are available, although as you say they must exist. The " site removed" notice shows an F9 logo, so space/logs for those users may be differently configured.
With mod_rewrite, if the "R" flag is set on, the browser is instructed to make a new request. Removing it will make the redirect transparent to the user, but only if it's under the same subdomain; a redirect to your space would still be treated as a new request. In the absence of any raw logs though, it's still worth a punt, as there's little other option other than temporarily moving the domain to alternative webspace that has logging enabled or more active support than PN are offering.
AOL is definitely a candidate!
puddy
Grafter

a meaningful reply from Plusnet would be nice.
Still had no contact with them
no pm
no forum
no phone call
no reset of data
no advise thats useful
no investagtion ongoing
but as of today lots of bloody stickers telling them how good they are in uswitch 2008- but 2008 not finished yet so thats the end of good service for the rest of the year.
puddy
account=mjr99
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Still had no contact with them
no pm

- I've been out of the office for 4 days so apologies for not picking up your PM
no forum

- As above
no phone call

- As above
no reset of data

- Reset of what data? If you would like the website restoring I can sort that out for you, alternatively if you had raised a ticket requesting this one of the CSC staff could have also done so.
no advise thats useful

- I think this is a little harsh, we've given you different advice on this as have some other customers. The main piece of advice I've suggested is to use a .htaccess file to stop hotlinking of your images.
no investagtion ongoing

- I've looked at the tickets on your account and we've responded to each one you've raised. In order to help investigate I've activated raw weblogs on your account, these should be available for your domain address tomorrow. Hopefully, as per Mikeb's suggestion, these will be helpful in pinning down the source of all the requests for your data.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puddy
Grafter

I wanted all my files deleted so I can re-post them v ftp
Their are no hotlinked files on my webpage
If its being looked at I am happy for the time being!
Puddy
account problems =mjr99