Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Is it Time To Go - For James!

DirectFS
Grafter

RE: Is it Time To Go - For James!

James
Thanks very much for your phone call.  Would you believe within minutes of you coming off the phone, the connection went!  I have noticed that the sync rate also changed and is sitting at 8128/448 now, rather than the 8064/448 I mentioned on the phone.
I'll keep an eye on the throughput over the next day or two and see what happens - hopefully as suggested it will increase duly.
I'll take a look at the options regarding the other bits, and progress that - if you could keep an eye out for it I'd appreciate!  No chance of the free router I guess  Tongue
Again, thanks - *that* is how customer support should be done - perhaps the seniors lurking can take note and use James (and Mand earlier) as examples of how the rest should be doing it?
Bill.
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: RE: Is it Time To Go - For James!

Bill,
Thanks.  I don't think the resync is a bad thing actually.  If the profiling works as it should you'll now get a profile of 7150Kbps as opposed to the 7000Kbps you would have got otherwise.
Please do let me know should you decide to place an order and I'll keep an eye on things.
DirectFS
Grafter

Thanks James.
Couple of questions - if I use the online product thingy, can I set the change to take effect at the next billing period (30th)?  Just looked at the BT billing and that's good to go - they owe us!
Just let me know what the best way to proceed is if you can.
Bill.
jim:quote
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

So are you saying James has fixed the PPP drop problem?
James
Grafter

It doesn't *quite* work like that.
Basically, when you request the upgrade, we'll place a transfer in order for your telephone service. The home phone will then take upto a couple of weeks to be transferred in and it's unlikely that this will happen on your next billing date.  However, your first monthly subscription will be a pro rata payment to bring your home phone billing date in line with that of your broadband.
James
Grafter

More of a case of lucky timing I'm afraid Nozzer.  BT had recently made an interleaving/SNR change on DirectFS' line, which appears to have reduced/killed any downstream errors and stabilised his line.
DirectFS
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer

Um....I'll let you know - at present it is doing its yo-yo thing all over again - that's about 7 or 8 drops including two (now) loss of sync in the last fifteen minutes.........
But, allowing a bit for whatever line adjustments were done today, should settle......
....I hope!
Bill.
nozzer
Hero

Is that the DSL that's dropping/resyncing or just the PPP on its own? I'm not certain whether you were suffering from line instability or authentication problems?
@James..  "More of a case of lucky timing I'm afraid Nozzer.  BT had recently made an interleaving/SNR change on DirectFS' line, which appears to have reduced/killed any downstream errors and stabilised his line".  Thst sounds as though the DSL was dropping rather than the PPP?
James
Grafter

Sad
It's possible that your router is now trying to synchronise at a speed that's too quick for it to hold onto.  Hopefully it should stabilise at a sensible speed.
Off home in a minute, but I'll be online later on.
DirectFS
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

More of a case of lucky timing I'm afraid Nozzer.  BT had recently made an interleaving/SNR change on DirectFS' line, which appears to have reduced/killed any downstream errors and stabilised his line.

We hope!  Can you check the logs James if still there?  
Specifically last half hour since our phone call.
And thanks for the info on the other.  
Bill.
DirectFS
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
Is that the DSL that's dropping/resyncing or just the PPP on its own? I'm not certain whether you were suffering from line instability or authentication problems?
@James..  "More of a case of lucky timing I'm afraid Nozzer.  BT had recently made an interleaving/SNR change on DirectFS' line, which appears to have reduced/killed any downstream errors and stabilised his line".  Thst sounds as though the DSL was dropping rather than the PPP?

Actually seems to be a bit of both - I've just watched it drop PPP, holding onto sync, then drop sync, re-sync null (0/0) then re-sync just below 8k, and a whole host of PPP reconnects.
Probably another one before this goes on too!
Bill
jim:green multiple quotes removed to match the quotes removed from the quoted post mod:end
nozzer
Hero

Quote from: Jameseh
Sad
It's possible that your router is now trying to synchronise at a speed that's too quick for it to hold onto.  Hopefully it should stabilise at a sensible speed.
Off home in a minute, but I'll be online later on.

That definitely sounds like a DSL instability problem! I'm not sure now whether we've been talking about the same thing all along here.
DirectFS
Grafter

Well, to be fair this last bit over the previous half hour or so may well just be the line re-syncing as James says.
Previously, we've definitely been on the same page - it was all PPP with sync remaining constant up until this last little bit now.
Bill.
nozzer
Hero

Actually seems to be a bit of both - I've just watched it drop PPP, holding onto sync, then drop sync, re-sync null (0/0) then re-sync just below 8k, and a whole host of PPP reconnects.
Probably another one before this goes on too!

That's exactly what mine was doing when I first went back to BT IPS. Cured by transferring to PPPoE!
James
Grafter

Morning Bill,
It's not looking so bad this morning - almost 7 hours long on the back of an 8 hour connection from around 6pm yesterday.
From 3:37pm till 4:31pm it was flapping.
This line has stabilised out (hopefully) at 7.5Mbps.  We'll see how it behaves across the day.