Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickie: How to telnet TG585 v7

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quickie: How to telnet TG585 v7

Can anyone tell me what the full command, user name and passwords are?
I tried telnet 192.168.1.254 admin and the router's allocated password and got stuck with the potty picture.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Quickie: How to telnet TG585 v7

The picture means you've logged on to the router Smiley From there it's a matter of knowing what commands will do what - I think hitting enter with an empty command brings up the list of available commands on the router for you.
Luzern
Hero

Hi! Tried that, but when the pic appears also is below the dotted line "admin>". Hitting return with no further command just takes me round  to the same.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Try typing 'help' for a list of commands (I tjhink this works on my v8).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, help should work or just a question mark ?
You can move into a command group by entering just the group name, and two full stops .. exits that group selection.
If you change anything it is necessary to enter saveall to make the change 'stick' across restarts.
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

lucerne, what exactly are you trying to do/change/configure?
Configuring the router via telnet is not a simple exorcise... If you don't know what you are doing you can easily render the box unusable.
Luzern
Hero

Hi Peter! Smiley
What I want to achieve, if it is possible :-\, is retention of the information in the router's event logs for a longer period than is standard. The thought of doing this arose in connection with the events in the yet to be responded to thread (except ny my addition) "Last 24 Hours". I heard that the logs could be emailed to me.
Knowing myself, though, it's not unlikely I am uo a tree. Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

By default the router retains much more log history than is shown by the web interface. This can be displayed in the command window by telneting into the router then entering systemlog show at the admin prompt.
You can copy the display (right-click, select all, right-click) and paste it into a text editor for saving.
David
Luzern
Hero

Thank you very much. Smiley