cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question re routers for FTTC

Routefinder
Grafter

Quick question re routers for FTTC

Just wondering if when FTTC arrives (BDUK being done round here Smiley ) I can use my Netgear DG834G v4 ADSL2+ router.  It has been (famous last words) nice and reliable and I like to controllability of filtering etc it has available Cheesy
TIA for the feedback.
3 REPLIES 3
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Quick question re routers for FTTC

No.
You need a router with a WAN port and supports PPPoE.
Dmitchell
Grafter

Morning Routefinder.
As DaveyH has already advised, you would need a WAN port that is separate to the DSL port currently on your Netgear router. There are ways you can do this by flashing the firmware to make one of the ethernet ports act as a WAN port however I wouldn't recommend this.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you need ot research the routers to ensure whatever you choose to purchase (for the control levels you want) is capable of the throughput your new connection will have,
a lot of cheaper (older) equipment is unable to provide data throughput above 40meg and that figure halves when you have several bits of kit connected, when looking for a machine now its all about the number of connected devices, the gigabit ports, how many bits of kit your going to need to share it out to, the likelihood of them all being online at the same time and thus all taking an equal share of the service (so if you have 10 bits of kit sharing a 50 meg connection there all getting 5 meg each down and probably 2meg each up giving combined data of 7 meg each device, which means a minimum through put of 70meg, add in overheads and your router needs to be capable of at least 80meg in quoted speeds)
so essentially if your using a lot of kit then you will probably need a so-ho class router, (listed as vdsl or Ewan/cable) but lower numbers of kit and your fine to use the PlusNet provided one (pay postage costs and accept a 12mth contract) but as I put it above its about the number of devices and the speed of connection and the bandwidth it can manage, so if your estimate puts you above 60meg and you have more than 8 devices your likely to need something better than the Technicolor router as it will bottleneck your usage, as for recommendations there's a hole host of really good kit available and  any recommendation (like any normal person) would be to suggest you got the same unit I did but it might be totally unsuitable for your needs
sadly the only person who can really say whats good for you is you and that will mean a lot of research into whats what and how things work ...especially if you enable all the extra bits you want to use (which on cheaper routers can cause throughput issues because there chipset/memory might not be able to cope) some reviews are good in this regard others are not up to much....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you