cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about BB speed...

sarahandjohn

Quick question about BB speed...

Are there problems this weekend?  I only ask as my speed seems to have gone down to 400k from 1800k on Thursday/Friday...  it makes watching iplayer horrendous!!
Here is the BT speed test result:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 1984 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 75 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

and here are the stats from my Negear dg834pn:
Connection Speed 1984 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 5.1 db 18.0 db

Does anyone know how to reset this back manually, or do I have to call plusnet and get them to do it?  I have been reading some other posts from the last few days, but it didn't really tell me anything...  I haven't changed anything cable or equipment wise (except a new filter in case the old one was busted and was causing this issue), and it has been working at 1800k ish for the last 2 years or so...
Also there may be a problem with my exchange, though I haven't looked the PN community tools exchange checker in about 9 months so not sure if that is normal for Swindon... (though it does say that BT have fixed the problem on the 27 Feb)
Any help would be appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Quick question about BB speed...

The important part is this
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
This means that you had a low speed sync recently (about 800kbps) and this has caused the IP profile to drop to 500kbps which is in effect a speed limiter on your line. It is all automatic and will only increase if your router holds sync at a higher speed fo about 3 days. Unfortunately there is no way of speeding it up
sarahandjohn

oh, ok, that may explain it then.  I'll keep checking the bt speed tester over the next few days then, but it has already been 3 so thought that it might have fixed itself by then??...
One thing I have just noticed, using http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, I have found that my upload is exactly the same as my download throughput...  I always thought that your upload was always much less than your download to take advantage of the extra bandwidth for the download (or something with similar terminology!)...  Should this be the case now, or is this expected?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The upload and download frequencies on Max have fixed ranges which are separated by a gap
The green is upload and the blue download in this picture