cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick business related question

chesterfield
Grafter

Quick business related question

If we had a Plusnet business product, along with a fixed IP, would Plusnet also be able to set up a DNS PTR record for us?  Main reason being our server struggles (fails) to send mail to a number of our customers whos own ISP's perform Reverse DNS lookups. (customers who have AOL addresses for example).
We are currently provided with internat access via a shared pipe into the business complex that a number of individual businesses use.  This is a 2mb link and at times (lunch times when the kids employed by some companies are able to use the net) the link slows to a crawl.  This is impacting on our business such that I am considering having a dedicated BT line installed and signing up to a PN business package.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Quick business related question

You can request the rDNS to be set via help & support ticket to either the IP address of the broadband line - e.g. 212.159.X.X.plus.com (no good for what you want), or to the domain name you use for emails if you can prove it is registered to you (i.e. is not already registered on your account). The second option is what you need.
chesterfield
Grafter

Excellent - thanks for the reply Peter, I knew I could count on these forums and the bright sparks that still linger...  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder if you could sign up to an email package which would then give you authenticated access to relay.plus.net - you could then set your server to relay through that.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LiamM
Grafter

Hi chesterfield,
Good to see you round these parts.
I have rDNS records for my Business IP and it works a treat.  When it will let me I'll signup to Enhanced Care.  Very happy with the service right now.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I wonder if you could sign up to an email package which would then give you authenticated access to relay.plus.net - you could then set your server to relay through that.

Only subscription accounts can do that.  Not sure if subscription dialup accounts count or not and the old Broadband Essential / Advanced accounts are no longer available.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Ah OK - it was the Broadband Essential I was thinking of - just couldn't remember what it was called.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)