cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding FTTC and how it connects

droffy
Grafter

Questions regarding FTTC and how it connects

I am Joining PN and am curious regarding how the FTTC fibre gets to and is presented into my gaff. So far all i can work out is Openreach do something in the cab and exchange and then install some kit on my master socket, then i connect the supplied router (not likley as i got a BIPAC) to the openreach thingy and Bobs me uncle!
the reason i am asking is that i have had a long term issue with my non fibre broadband connection that 2 line engineer visits and 1 openreach engineer visit has not fully resolved, the issue was shown at the cab which is only 20m from my master socket, the fault causes my current connection to drop a lot.
When i go over to Fibre do they take the current copper pair and re terminate at the local cab? as i believe that my issue is a hr diss due to a bad crimp on my pair to the house.
Also .a brief explation of how the kit in the house connects would be really appriciated.as i may need to move some stuff around to get the best from my setup.
cheers
Droffy
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Questions regarding FTTC and how it connects

The FTTC cabinet houses the equipment that terminates the fibre and converts the data to VDSL.  Your phone line is diverted in the existing cabinet to the FTTC cabinet and back where the combined signal then goes down the existing cabinet<>house connection.
The faceplate of the master socket is replaced with a VDSL filter plate and the data output of this feeds a BT supplied VDSL modem.  The ethernet from the modem is then plugged to your router.
Hope this helps?
droffy
Grafter

Thanks i think that helps  Wink what i am really interested in is the retermination of the pair to my house as when the guy came last time his explaination of my issue was that the silicon splice that connects my line in the box to the exchange multicore was faulty and im dure he said that he didnt change it but recrimped the exsisting splice, not sure why he would not have replaced it. The issue i seem to suffer with is that if i ring my home number or lift the handset of my phone the line voltage was enough to pop the splice a little bit (he also said something like that) i can cause drops at will by ringing my number. I was just hoping that tis upcoming work will help resolve this issue.....
apjashley1
Grafter

Who's your phone provider currently?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: droffy
Thanks i think that helps  Wink what i am really interested in is the retermination of the pair to my house as when the guy came last time his explaination of my issue was that the silicon splice that connects my line in the box to the exchange multicore was faulty.

Very high probability it will be recrimped. The new equipment has to break into the existing connection. So the line from the exchanged have to be redirected to the new fibre cabinet and then returned to reconnect to the pair of wires that go to your house.