cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about unlimited package

mjholgate

Questions about unlimited package

Hi,
I just called the customer options team to request a MAC code, as I wish to switch to another provider that offers a completely unlimited package.
When I declined a package with an increased data limit, I was offered an unlimited package for £16.99 a month. I didn't realise Plusnet did such a package, and I can't find any reference to it on the website (only an old unlimited package).
Are there any details on this package? Is it truly unlimited? Is there any throttling or traffic shaping?
thanks
Matt.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Questions about unlimited package

It is the old legacy package.
Like ALL ISPs that offer 'unlimited' it is throttled and shaped - the big difference is that Plusnet are up front about admitting it!
There is genuinely no limit on the amount you can download and no fair usage policy.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_unlimited_archive.shtml#downloadSpeed...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mjholgate

Thanks for your help - I saw that page but I assumed it was purely historical!
I appreciate that PlusNet are upfront about their throttling/shaping (their transparency is excellent), but it isn't true that all ISPs are throttled/shaped, especially those that offer LLU services.
For example consider Be:
https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/beunlimited
This has no limits, no throttling. There is a fair usage policy, but it's about unacceptable behaviour (spam etc), rather than limits.
Sky is another example of a provider that offers a truly unlimited package.
thanks
Matt.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

But 'truely unlimited' services CAN be 'limited' by congestion / network capacity.  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gary42
Grafter

Maybe consider John Lewis if you have been happy with Plusnet customer service and network performance and you want the extra usage.
There aren't any speed restrictions on the unlimited product.
May even be an internal migration path?Huh
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23
CAN be 'limited' by congestion / network capacity.   Wink

True and a fair useage policy full may be difficult to understand correctly.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.