Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about uncapping upload.

FIXED
razorpoke
Grafter

Questions about uncapping upload.

1.) I think we're on a fiber package but the line comes into my house as adsl (thats at least what pluggs into my router). I was wondering if its even possible to request an uncap if this is the case.

2.) If it is possible are there downsides to doing such?

3.) If possible, does this incur a cost?

- I have a funny feeling it won't be possible for my line but I thought I would ask anyway.

2 REPLIES 2
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Questions about uncapping upload.

Fix
1) You probably are on fibre to the cabinet, where the last part of the connection is delivered over a copper telephone line. This is the most common type of fibre connection.

2) no downside to removing the cap, other than it costs more.

3) it sounds like you're currently on fibre unlimited package which has downloaded and upload capped at 40 / 2 respectively.
To remove the the 2 meg upload cap you need to switch to the Unlimited Fibre Extra which has an extra cost associated with it, this gives you a theoretical maximum of 80 down and 20 up.
There is one gotcha, in that Plusnet won't put you on this service unless the estimated Max download on your line is over 40 meg.
Use the BTW ADSL checker to see if your download speed is estimated at over 40 meg.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Unlike BT, Plusnet currently don't offer a 50/10 fibre package so if you can't get 80/20 product you're stuck with the 2 meg upload cap unless you switch provider or Plusnet change their offerings in the future.

It's been mentioned on here about offering 50/10 in the future but Plusnet always refuse to be drawn on the subject, citing commercial reasons.
razorpoke
Grafter

Re: Questions about uncapping upload.

Thank you for this great response. A 50/10 would be an ideal figure, as it seems quite a dramatic jump from 40/2 - 80/20.

You have given me something to think about though, thank you again!