cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about my Broadband Connection

MrT
Grafter

Questions about my Broadband Connection

Over the past 4 months my BB connection has been more unstable than usual. The situation improved somewhat when my Target SN Margin was increased to 9dB about 2 months ago.
For the 12 days prior to yesterday, my connection had been stable. Summary line stats were:
Type                 Sync                  BT Profile            PN Line Speed
G.992.1             3616/448              3000                           3Mb
In the early hours of yesterday (day 13!), my connection dropped twice in 1 minute. Summary line stats were:
G.992.3             3275/752                  ?                            2.5Mb
G.992.3             3463/752                  ?                            2.5Mb
Following a mid-morning manual disconnect and restart, my stats improved to:
G.992.3             3581/880                3159                         2.5Mb
So, my connection had been swapped from ADSL1 to ADSL2 (didn’t know that was going to happen!)
Q1: Does this mean my connection has been moved from 20CN to 21CN?
Q2: When will my PN Line Speed be re-instated?
Q3: Do I now have an increased upload speed at the expense of download speed?
Q4: When will it be ‘safe’ to return my Target SNM to 6dB?
4 REPLIES 4
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Questions about my Broadband Connection

Quote from: MrT
Q1: Does this mean my connection has been moved from 20CN to 21CN?
Q2: When will my PN Line Speed be re-instated?
Q3: Do I now have an increased upload speed at the expense of download speed?
Q4: When will it be ‘safe’ to return my Target SNM to 6dB?

Q1. Yes it does, you can be moved back to ADSL1 but it will run over the 21CN network.
Q2. You are on the new profile system so you will probably have to get Plusnet to set it as the system might not set the correct profile on it's own.
Q3. No, as you are not an Annex M.
Q4. You have a long line so once you get moved back to ADSL1 your connection will be able to have a 6dB margin, but it might not be stable.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
Q1. Yes it does, you can be moved back to ADSL1 but it will run over the 21CN network.
Q2. You are on the new profile system so you will probably have to get Plusnet to set it as the system might not set the correct profile on it's own.
Q3. No, as you are not an Annex M.
Q4. You have a long line so once you get moved back to ADSL1 your connection will be able to have a 6dB margin, but it might not be stable.

Thanks for your response. I'm not looking to move anywhere. I'm just keen to understand where I am now!
Q2. My connection has been fine for over 24Hrs so the PN System should have updated by now. I understood that until December the PN Line Speeds would be rounded - mine would probably have been 3Mb.
Q3. As bandwidth can only be used for up or down traffic and I upload very little, I was just wondering whether I could get better download speed.
Q4. At the moment, I do not want to return to ADSL1. Prior to the increase in my Target SNM, my line had been fairly stable (best uptime 61 days). I put the instability down to the very dry summer we've just had.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: MrT
Q2. My connection has been fine for over 24Hrs so the PN System should have updated by now. I understood that until December the PN Line Speeds would be rounded - mine would probably have been 3Mb.
Q3. As bandwidth can only be used for up or down traffic and I upload very little, I was just wondering whether I could get better download speed.
Q4. At the moment, I do not want to return to ADSL1. Prior to the increase in my Target SNM, my line had been fairly stable (best uptime 61 days). I put the instability down to the very dry summer we've just had.

Q2. The system is not working properly at the moment so you will have to get one of the Plusnet staff to change your profile at Plusnet's side.
Q3. You can't sacrifice upload speed for download speed. You could tweak your SNR, but the Plusnet router doesn't support this.
Q3. By all means, try ADSL2, but with a long line it might become unstable, so the option is there if you want to move back to ADSL1.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
Q2. The system is not working properly at the moment so you will have to get one of the Plusnet staff to change your profile at Plusnet's side.

Hopefully, a kind PN Staff Member will pick this up in due course.  Cool