Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about intermittent sync

FIXED
Deesoh
Hooked

Question about intermittent sync

I've been getting intermittent sync on and off for a while now, the line checker comes back fine and it only seems to happen when the router is plugged into the extension. Obviously that suggests that it's either the wiring, or the placement of the router (there were quite a lot of wires and electrical equipment in its old placement - stupid I know). 

I have now isolated the router and it seems to be holding sync fine (both in the test socket and in the extension) - so I'm edging towards it being an EMI issue, due to my foolish placement of the router. 

My question is, is it possible for you to determine the cause of my recent frequent disconnections? I can't seem to find any router stats on the below router, but I'm not sure what I'd look for if I did. 

2 - Serial number: N7172861B001098 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N

I know it's probably a long shot, and just to be safe I'm going to redo the internal wiring - I just wondered whether there were stats which pointed to one issue, or another?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Question about intermittent sync

Hi @Deesoh, while no problems are flagging up during testing, the connection has certainly been dropping out much more than I'd expect recently, although it looks like it's only dropped once today in the early hours of the morning.

If this is only happening when connected to the extension socket but not when connected to the master socket, it would potentially point to the extension socket or internal wiring being the problem unfortunately so I'd be hesitant about booking an engineer as the appointment would become chargeable if this was the case.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Deesoh
Hooked

I believe the problem has been fixed now I've moved the router. I was just hoping there might be some way of seeing what was causing the disconnections (high attenuation / error seconds / lost packets etc), but if that isn't possible then it's fine, thanks.

Any chance I could have a DLM profile reset? I'm fairly certain the issue has been fixed and I'd like my downstream SNR back to around 6 dB, where - internal issues aside - it normally holds sync just fine.

Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Our tests aren't showing any causes for the drops:

DSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK00000000 Service ID: BBEU00000000
Telephone NO.: N.A. Test Executed On: 2018-12-05T16:12:26.78Z
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 8.1 20.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 12.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 14946 33390
Speed: 1220 15739

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 18176 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 14541
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 1524 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 93
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 100

I've reset your line now. If you reboot your router in about 4 hours time you should see faster speeds and a target SNR of 6dB. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Deesoh
Hooked

Hi, sorry about the delay in replying, I wanted to see how stable the connection was. Currently on my third day without a disconnection, so I think it's safe to say the problem has been solved (and the issue was silly placement of the router on my part.)

Thank you for the profile reset, I'm holding steady on 6dB and everything is now working great.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear this, @Deesoh.

Keep us updated - if there's anything else you need, we're only a post away!

Best wishes

Dave