Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Thread

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Question Thread

We've just posted this update to our 21CN trial.
If you have any questions then please post them here and we'll let you know the answers (or find them out if it's a hard question we don't know the answer to).
If you want to volunteer to take part in the trial and your exchange is enabled please add you name to this thread.
Moderator's Note: Topic retitled to bring out the focus of the thread. David (spraxyt)
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
391 REPLIES 391
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Question Thread

Looking at the upstream on 21CN we have a choice of setting a fixed rate of 448kbps or setting it to “uncapped” which will allow the line to sync at the maximum speed it will support (up to 1Mbps). For the trial we’ve set all the lines to be uncapped and again so far all of the lines have seen increase in upload speed with some of them sync’ing at speeds above 1,000kbps.

Hang on! Some of us are paying extra for Max Premium. Surely to start with you should be capping at 448kbps except for those who have elected to pay for the higher upload speeds where it should be uncapped.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Jelv - That's because we pay extra for Max Premium.
We're merely passing on the charge.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

With LLU ADSL2+ uploads are typically 1.3mbps (optionally 2.5mbps but usually for a fee).
This is because ADSL2+ uses a wider range of frequencies and the boundary between upload and download can be moved more easily.
As far as I know no LLU provider charges extra for this and I guess BT will have to follow.
norskman

I would certainly like to try the 21CN trial.
I have been a customer of PlusNet going way back. Left PlusNet when you moved to the 8Mbit/s service. A disaster and went to Be broadband. I was running ADSL2M there. Once it was setup, actually it was fast and I did get 1.65MB/s downloads. However, Be broadband have a strange and 'illegal' ( ie they don;t follow the Routing RFC) for static addresses and I moved back to PlusNet.
I am impressed with the customer support. The help they initally gave me and setting up static IP's. So really well done. Not had a problem since I joined.
My exchange is 21CN enabled and was one of the early ones. Not that I am cynical or sarcastic but the fact  that I can see Ian Livingston's house from my house has NOTHING TO DO with it.....well I don't mind do I.
So yes, please see if you can put me on the trial.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: norskman
I would certainly like to try the 21CN trial.
So yes, please see if you can put me on the trial.

Wrong thread you need to post here to volunteer;
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70936.0.html
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: HPsauce
With LLU ADSL2+ uploads are typically 1.3mbps (optionally 2.5mbps but usually for a fee).

There will be 2 ADSL2+ products on 21CN, the standard ADSL2+ product with a max upstream of 1Mbps and an Annex M variant with upstream of up to 2.5Mbps. At the moment the Annex M isn't available and I don't know what the pricing will look like but it may be like the Max/Max Premium options you have on IPStream and do get priced different by Wholesale.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Will router re-configuration be necessary for this new-fangled ADSL2+?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Shouldn't be, no.
One of our guys here had a VPN running and that didn't even drop when his connection was upgraded.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just checked my exchange and it shows:
'Unable to look data about WBC on 21CN'
Does this mean data isn't currently available or is it code for 'No way, Jose'
markrach
Grafter

I know my exchange isn't being enabled untill next march but is the 21cn the same hardware as say BE* , the reason i ask is when i was with BE* i had a solid sync of 6.7mb , but with sky BB who say they use adsl2+)i couldn't get any higher than 4mb lower than what i can get on ADSL1 (when my line is fixed) .
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

For 21CN BT announced they'd selected 8 suppliers, listed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_21CN#Suppliers
The exchange equipment is the MSAN so Huawei  and Fujitsu are the suppliers. I don't know if that's the same as Be.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
whisky
Grafter

What's the situation regarding LLU customers?
Are we eligible to join the 21CN trial?
Will there be any problem migrating to 21CN when it's made available to all?
James
Grafter

Hi Whisky,
I'll try to get hold of Dave to see if LLU customers are included in the initial trial criteria.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As part of our test plan we want to do a couple of LLU to 21CN migrations, so the answer isn't no, you can't take part in the trial. Now in theory there shouldn't really be any difference in the actual migration process but we want to be cautious. So if you want to try it and your exchange is enabled then you can give it a go, but it will be in the second batch of orders we put in.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology