cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question RE: Fibre Extra

stranex
Dabbler

Question RE: Fibre Extra

I'm a long time (16 yrs!) Force9 customer who's looking at upgrading to Fibre either here or with BT.
Looking at my upgrade options I can get Extra Fibre for £21.50 which gives me 120GB.....better than BT which cost £28 for "unlimited" (I believe FUP throttles this after the first 100GB?)
I've tried looking but can't find an answer as to what happens *if* the 120GB (or 40GB on Value) is exceeded? Does in incure additional costs or is it simply throttled ala BT? Also, I can't find the quoted upload speeds for Extra Fibre (BT quotes up to 10Mb?)
Of course, being with Plusnet so long I'd love to stick with them but if BT works out cheaper and has faster uploads then I may consider a switch
10 REPLIES 10
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Question RE: Fibre Extra

The answer to that question is on the broadband experience page, and is common for all the packages:
Is traffic management used to manage compliance with data caps and download limits?Yes
Under what circumstances?If a customer reaches their allowance and has set a maximum spending limit
Level of speed reduction?256Kb/s across all traffic types
Duration of speed reduction?Speed reduction in place at all times until next billing date.

Extra bandwidth costs £5 per 5GB, and you set the maximum spend each month in your control panel.
BT's unlimited used to have a FUP limit at 300GB, but that has reputedly been removed. I've not seen confirmation though...
The standard upstream rate on both value & extra is 2Mbps.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Epyon
Grafter

Hi everyone

Yes, this is true! BT Total Broadband and BT Infinity customers will benefit from the removal of Fair Usage Policy (FUP) controls when they begin to be removed from April 2011. Once removed, heavy user customers will be able to download/stream as much as they wish without having their speeds restricted.

BT will remove the FUP controls currently applied to customers with ‘atypical’ usage. Today atypical users are restricted at 300GB usage and account for less than 0.5% of the BT customer base. BT will not target any individuals with restrictions based on usage levels. However, we still have traffic management policies that will restrict certain applications / protocols, such as P2P, when the network is busy.

As BT continues to invest in the network and network bandwidth we can now remove these restrictions and ensure the experience of the wider customer base.

(Note that charges will still apply for going over limits on BT Total Broadband Options 1&2 and BT Infinity Option 1 but traffic will not be managed.)

Thx

Kerry
post 18
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-TO-SCRAP-300GB-LIMIT/m-p/141429#M65392
stranex
Dabbler

Hmmmm, interesting
I thought BT Infinity FUP only went up to 100GB, 400GB is more than enough for anyone I would have thought!
As for the throttling of Plusnet to 256Kb/s.....does this still apply if you have purchased "extra" bandwidth at £5 / 5GB? or so long as you purchased this beforehand, do the speeds remain the same?
Must admit, the 400GB FUP @BT plus 3mths free plus no setup fee (£25 for me with Plusnet) makes is almost the same cost over 18mths......Can't see why I'd go with Plusnet when BT are offering an extra 280GB?!?
markg140
Grafter

Yeah if i'd of known about the BT removal of the FUP i'd of definitley gone with BT Infinity than PlusNet!
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: stranex
As for the throttling of Plusnet to 256Kb/s.....does this still apply if you have purchased "extra" bandwidth at £5 / 5GB? or so long as you purchased this beforehand, do the speeds remain the same?
Well no, obviously if you've purchased the extra bandwidth, you don't get throttled.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys,
Don't forget, regardless of other companies' usage limits, from midnight-8am our usage is unmetered and doesn't count against your allowance. Bearing this in mind, if you were scheduling downloads overnight you could potentially be using far in excess of the allowance.
Jojo Smiley
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I went over my 40GB limit on value fibre as I have 2 musican friends staying a few days with me, the guys used up 25GB on Tuesday alone to download and stream music videos. I hope to upgrade to extra next month. The BT offer does look tempting but I'm staying with PN as they are quite quick to sort out any problems I have. 
Mocca
Grafter

When i was shopping around for internet i found plusnet tobe the best looking deal for down my phoneline as i liked the 12-8am free leech.
Now i'm on fibre at 37mbps i can get around 4.0-4.5mb download speeds, between 12-8am i can get a free leech of 80gb+, Times that by 30 days per month and we have around 2400 gigabyte or 2.4 terrabyte, lol you lot do the math!
So with my pro addon i can get access to 2.4tb of internet usage per month for £41ish i think it is.
This was the reason i went with plusnet and it's changed my life drasticly for the better!
I think i could do 3tb easily within the free leech period.
stranex
Dabbler

Hmmm, certainly food for thought. Id rather stick with plusnet as they've served me well since I started using the net!
My only concern is about pn upload speeds. I do a lot of photography so uploading photos is important to me.....bt quote up to 10Mb/s which is obviously attractive vs pn's 2......does anyone know of any plans by pn to raise this is the future?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI stranex,
Quote from: stranex
does anyone know of any plans by pn to raise this is the future?

We are looking to offer up to 10Mbps upload but as yet have no concrete plans as to any timescales.
Jojo Smiley