Grafter

Re: Question #77930724 No response

I can only try, but it's VERY frustrating  Undecided
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We can try and put you on 3dB which may improve your speeds, there is a chance your line could start to drop conenction if we does this though.
We can always change it back to 6dB, but if you're seeking to get the extra speed then it is an option.
sully666
Grafter

Willing to give it a try as it has always been fine before  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've requested the change to 3dB on your line, hopefully this will work and help your speed.
Just to let you know that this may take a little longer than a normal SNR reset as we've had to do more of a manual process. Should be within the next 24 hours though.
sully666
Grafter

......and we had a power cut in the whole of Worksop for 20 minutes.
Will check out what difference it makes after work tomorrow.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sully666,
This might be a step in the right direction, however I have my concerns about stability.  I strongly recommend that you monitor things with RouterStats.  This will constantly measure and record your router performance.
The following might seem like gobbledygook but it is an attempt to explain simply the relationship between SNRM and synch speed, why SNRM constantly changes and why you might see differences in synch speed between modem restarts.
SNRM is not a static value - it will vary minute to minute depending upon the prevailing RFI (radio frequency interference).  At night time, there is more RFI thus SNRM falls, in daytime there is less RFI and SNRM rises.  When you do a resynch you get the best speed attainable at 3dB SNRM (or whatever is the current target) in the given RFI conditions.  At 3db, if you resynch during the day, you run the risk that at night time you will see poor data throughput due to a near zero SNRM and a high level of data retransmission errors.  If you resynch during the night, you will see a slower synch speed, but greater stability and the SNRM observers during the day will be higher than 3db.
I would be very interested to see what RouterStats reports for your line.  I'm surprised that (if your attenuation is being reported correctly) that you are not getting another 4Mbs synch speed.  However, let us see what the 3dB SNRM reset does for you.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sully666
Grafter

Unfortunately, Routerstats doesn't support my current router.  Even more annoying is the fact my wife has just texted me to say our connection is down.
Have checked Thinkbroads quality graph I have set up to confirm
My Broadband Ping

Have had more issues in the few MONTHS I have been with Plusnet than all the years I was with BE.  Very disappointed as I had just closed the ticket  Angry
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you can get a simple page from your router displaying the line stats, RouterStats lite can be configured to screen scrape the data.
I've done thus with several 'non-supported' devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sully666
Grafter

Thanks Townman.  Can you post some simple instructions?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Look at the RSL on line user guide here see the section entitled 'Configuring router stats / finding the right URL'.
HTH

sully666
Grafter

Interestingly the system up time doesn't agree with the downtime shown on the ping graph above
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sully66,
Ah well, there you go, you need to be careful what things mean around here... Before I go making rash assumptions, I need to check something with you...
Have you got a fixed IP address supplied by PN?  If the answer is no, then that ping graph is not going to be yours.  I do not want to sound like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but I do want to be sure of what I'm basing my conclusions on.  Far too many times in life I've made complex conclusions of IT problems, only to find that when I check for myself, information I'd been given was (at best) flawed!
If you do have a fixed IP address then I think I can explain the difference as follows...  The ping plot requires that your modem has a DSL session with the BT exchange (DLM) and a PPP session with PlusNET so that ping messages reach your router.  The system up time could be reporting one of two other things...
1. The switched on duration since the last reboot.
2. The elapsed time since the last DSL resynch.
Either of these could well be different from the elapsed time since the last PPP session was established, which is reflected by the ping graphs to YOUR FIXED IP address.
How are you making out with RouterStats?

sully666
Grafter

I do have a fixed IP with Plusnet.
Had a look at the instructions and vaguely understand them, but cannot seem to get the correct URL for the stats
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

See if this helps - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
You might want to have a read around there, if you are interested in the technical detail of ADSL - lots of useful stuff here.

sully666
Grafter

No improvement in speed since the 3.5 hour downtime yesterday.  It also appears the SNR has reverted to 6.
Would be interested if staff could explain the downtime as nothing occurred in the house or surrounding area to cause the disconnection.