cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question #157028937 - why is nobody responding?

al0104
Dabbler

Question #157028937 - why is nobody responding?

Hello,

2 Sep - I raised support ticket #157028937 - very slow upload speeds (one third of what it was - is it being capped??) + intermittent dropouts (a lot - whenever it rains) an ongoing issue that has never been adequately fixed.

3 Sep - received a reply from Plusnet stating that: "test indicates a potential intermittent connection or performance related issue" and that "We have tested your line today and we have located an issue with your broadband service. We have now placed some modifications on your line, and this is will be applied within the next 24 hours."

Then... nothing. No modifications appear to have been made at all.

6 Sep - I post a reply again to say that upload speed remains poor (upload SNR has been set at 29.6 dB previously it was 6.1 & worked fine) so I just wanted it reset back to what it was.

...and in reply - nothing

11 Sep - I point out connection is still dropping, sometimes 20+ times a day. Upload speed still not changed

12 Sep - and ask again

13 Sep - and again

Still no replies from Plusnet & line remains exactly as it was when I first raised the ticket on 2 Sep.

So since it seems nobody appears to be reading the support ticket & since any attempt to get through to Plusnet on the phone these days is nigh on impossible, I'm wondering if anyone can help via the forum?

Cheers,

Alan

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Question #157028937 - why is nobody responding?

Hi there,

I'm really sorry you've had no response for a good while on this now.

I've just picked this up myself and added a response to ticket 157028937 for you so we can move things forward.

Feel free to reply back here when you've responded to that and I can then make sure there's no further delay in us dealing with this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
al0104
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response - I have replied to the support ticket.

One thing I don't understand - you said that speeds have lowered due to the line dropping (DLM) but if that was the case wouldn't it affect both download & upload speed? I have seen a major drop off in my upload speed but download speed has remained relatively stable. 

e.g.,

20:56:52, 24 May.    DSL Link Up: Down Rate=12166Kbps, Up Rate=1071Kbps; SNR Margin Down=9.1dB, Up=6.1dB

10:45:45, 14 Sep.    DSL Link Up: Down Rate=13319Kbps, Up Rate=447Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=29.9dB

Wouldn't DLM adjust both the download & upload SNR if it was down to the line dropping?

Re: the other issue - constant dropouts. This happens whenever it rains. Hence why I tend to call out engineers every autumn/winter. Over 20 callouts & it has never been fixed - it just goes away in summer. Openreach just don't seem to be able to cope with intermittent issues but if you would like to call them out again, that's fine. I've been visited so often I know most of them by name anyway...

regards,

Alan

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Looks like PlusNet have tinkered with your line and capped your upload speed, ask them to remove the cap.

al0104
Dabbler

Thanks RealAleMadrid.

Plusnet - if my upload has been capped, could you remove that restriction please?

Alan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm looking into this now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've placed an order to modify your service from an uncapped upstream.

This should complete tomorrow.

As your connection is dropping out still, it may be worth getting an engineer called out

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
al0104
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf for ordering the upstream to be uncapped. (No idea why it was capped in the first place considering we're an EO line that's not shared with anyone else) 

Re: engineers - What usually happens is they turn up on a day when it is not heavily raining - test the line & declare that there's nothing wrong with it (but as your graph shows, that clearly is not the case) & then they go home.

Later on it inevitably starts raining & the line immediately drops out... and we go back to square one.

i gave up complaining for a while because we were "in scope" to get FTTP, however we have been "in scope" for over a year now & knowing the glacial pace at which Openreach work, we may be stuck with this intermittent ADSL for some time yet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's probably worth getting another engineer out as something doesn't seem right with the connection.

Intermittent faults can be tricky to fix and often require several engineer visits. We can also potentially raise an escalation to BTwholesale so an experienced engineer is assigned and investigates a bit more thoroughly

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
al0104
Dabbler

Update #1:

Upload speed has been restored (see stats below) - thanks Gandalf for sorting it out Smiley

08:56:36, 15 Sep. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=13707Kbps, Up Rate=1271Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=6.0dB

The question that occurs to me though, is why on earth would Plusnet decide to cap my upload speed in the first place? I'm on ADSL2+ not fibre & all it did was absolutely kill my download speed whenever I tried to upload any files. Bonkers Crazy3

Re: line dropping when it rains - it has dropped about 20 times this morning already (heavy rain here). Am waiting to hear about engineer availability but will update any progress... If it's not raining when an Openreach engineer is on site, I'm pretty certain they won't find anything as we've been here before (many, many times).

Alan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy to hear your upstream is sorted out now

With regards to your connection, I think the next step is to arrange an engineer visit in order to further investigate this. If you can reply to Adam's message in the ticket on your account we can get the visit booked for you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet