cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualified to Receive a PlusNet Router?

zx

Qualified to Receive a PlusNet Router?

Hi. My aging mother has the "Unlimited Broadband" ADSL package at £14.99 per month.  She's always had her own router which is now years old and starting to exhibit problems.

Does her package qualify for a "free" router supplied by PlusNet please?  I've looked everywhere in the help but couldn't find an answer.

Someone told me existing customers can get one delivered for £6.99, which would be fine, but where do I sign up for this please, I can't find a link in any of the online help?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Qualified to Receive a PlusNet Router?

@zx If your mum is paying that for ADSL broadband, she is paying way over the odds anyway. I assume she has never thought to negotiate a new contract, or no-one has checked for her.

If she renegotiates - which will be near impossible at the current time - and requests a router during the negotiations - then she would get a new one for the delivery fee.

However, the current PN supplied equipment is poor, and many people are buying the BT HomeHub 6 from eBay as a much better option. May cost a bit more, but is a better option.

John
zx

@jab1 Many thanks for the fast reply, but for broadband without a data cap, where would you get it cheaper than that?  I just tried the MoneysavingExpert broadband checker and the cheapest it came up with was a higher price than she's paying now.

Sounds like I can't just retro-fit a router to the current contract, which is a shame.  I appreciate they're not the greatest device, but funds are tight.

jab1
Legend

@zx How long has your mum been a PN customer? I know re-contracting offers differ for everyone, but I'm on an unlimited ADSL package, and haven't paid anything like that price, even when my original introductory discount finished and due to circumstances didn't have time to ring and quibble. I'm not saying what I pay now - just lets say iiI get a similar reduction next August when it comes up for renewal, PN will be paying me to have the service 😁

What does the £14.99 cover? phone & BB or BB only?

John
zx

@jab1 It's BB only.  Long story, my dad set it up... maybe 7 or 8 year ago on some ultra-low PN tariff with I think a 30GB cap.  Dad passed away, we kept the BB going, then a year or two ago PN stopped doing that deal and moved everyone to unlimited, but at a higher price.  I help her with bills, but I guess I never considered it poor value as I'm on Virgin fibre, which is obviously much faster, but I'm used to paying more.

Perhaps I need to have a word with the PN retentions team, thanks for the inspiration.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Best port of call @zx 

I'd have words with them, although for obvious reasons at the moment, it may be difficult.

They may make you take out a contract for a new router, and if you're happy with the service overall then that's fine. Otherwise there are plenty of routers on eBay and the like, quite cheap. So you can get one from there and if you need help in setting it up then someone will be here to help too.

jab1
Legend

I think you will have a problem contacting retentions, @zx  - due to the current virtual lockdown, the call centre are not staffed.

I appreciate this could be difficult, and I don't know your situation, so forgive me if I make wrong assumptions. How computer literate is your mum - can she get to her account page, for example? If not, are you able to visit her and get to it?

As I said previously, re-contract offers differ for everyone, but I bet you could get a better price than that for BB from Plusnet.

You may have to move the phone to PN, too, as they no longer offer BB only packages.

Keep us informed of progress.

John