Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling technicolour wireless disconnection

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Puzzling technicolour wireless disconnection

Hi and happy new year to you both.
I had intended to factory reset the router but life got in the way..... anyhow all was fine till last night. Most things on the network were shut down only thing active was my phone.  Wife powered on tablet and was using it fine.  She then mentioned that the Internet had stalled out. Tried my phone and the couple of saved tabs I had would not loadup. Quickly fired up the laptop and had yellow exclamation mark for approximately 20sec. It worked perfectly after and loaded up the page the tablet couldnt. Phone also worked fine then and the tablet would open any webpage you would like except the dfs site and plusnet.  The dfs site was the one that stalled out. I cleared the tablets cache still refused to load up the site.  Half hour later when I checked all ok. I am factory reseting the router today and see what happens.  If it does happen again I thought about tethering the tablet to my phone and using the 3g connection. If that then works I think it all but would prove the tablet is fine.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Odd.... just thought I would check the router log.  Couple of odd entrys that are made but dont correspond to the problem times. Log says LOGIN wireless station (mac address) cant get authorised.  Noticed this was also at 9.06 this morning as well. Tablet not in use but switched on. Any ideas what this means. Phone always on but no messages that pertain to phones mac address
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Sorry to ressurect this... things been fine for a while, and never got around to factory resetting the router, life got in the way Crazy
Anyhow today my wife rang to say the laptop refused to load webpages, tablet a little better. Got home from work still the same when I tried... to be honest, got sick of this, so pulled the network apart, and factory reset the router. When I got it all bavk up again, I was adtounded that things were still the same.  Various websites refused to load. Restarted phone and tablet, and webpages came back for about 5mins, then all back to no access again,  and now even apps couldn't access the internet. Reveted phone to 3g, immediately websires and everything else perfect. Tethered tablet to phone again swift normal access. Switched back to wireless, nothing.... this must point to the router,  cant think of anything else.  Only thing next is to revert to rev 8 firmware.  I also gave an older thomoson 585v7 I am going to try as well.
Anyone any other ideas, could it be faulty wireless, or the router generally on its way out? Since 7.30 tonight its been fine.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since factory resetting the router hasn't helped I'd be inclined to try a different router first. Have you any doubts that the TG585v7 is working?
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Its been that long since it was used I'm not sure. I will revert to firmware 8 and do another factory reset see if that sorts it.  I'm probably going to get a new router tbh. Heard good things about the asus range.  Never ever had these issues with my dg834pn that unfortunately died.  Would get another one of eBay but wary of buying second hand routers.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

As we are decorating front room not swapped router yet, but last night it did it again, internet access stalled and no websites would load up at all.  Apps could not access internet either. Out of interest, I checked sky ondemand, which is connected to the router directly via ethernet. To my utter surprise there was no access to on demand, the skybox had reverted to the older anytime which it does if there is no internet access.... all lights were on, on the router. Checked the network settings and as soon as I checked them, the connection to on demand switched fron fail to connected, and access was restored. Phone still nothing, switched wireless off and on, on both devices and connections restored. Would anyone from plusnet care to comment.... I would be happy to send this router back to them for investigation to see if its a firmware issue, or just a dodgy router.
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ Spraxyt:  sorry for the delay in getting back to you on your suggestions.
I've just tried your idea of switching the router off, disconnecting the ethernet cable and switching the router back on.
Result: the wireless function worked, no problem!  Smiley Thankyou!
So, it seems to me that I should always turn the router off before disconnecting the ethernet-connected PC. Failure to do so will result in losing the router's wireless facility!  Roll_eyes
Weird or what!!?? Shocked And does this apply to other plusnet users?Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: hollytree
So, it seems to me that I should always turn the router off before disconnecting the ethernet-connected PC. Failure to do so will result in losing the router's wireless facility!  Roll_eyes
Weird or what!!?? Shocked And does this apply to other plusnet users?Huh

I think the answer is 'no', it seems to be unique to you. I've just tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable from my TG582n and wireless continued to function. A tablet computer connected wirelessly operated normally. My wired PC remained on throughout the experiment, and not surprisingly lost network connectivity with the cable unplugged. I plugged the cable back in after a few minutes and connectivity was restored.
Now that your router has been restarted if you turn off the wired PC again does wireless still fail? If it does I think factory resetting the router is the remaining suggestion to check.
David
hollytree
Rising Star

Just for clarification, when you say
Quote from: spraxyt
if you turn off the wired PC again
it's not so much turning the wired pc off that causes the wireless to stop; it's the act of physically disconnecting the ethernet cable that causes this to happen!
I'll try physically disconnecting it now and see what happens.
hollytree
Rising Star

UPDATE:  Grin Well, I'm blowed. This time, I physically disconnected the ethernet cable between the router and the wired PC, and there was no loss of wireless service from the router.
The only difference between what I did originally and what I did now is that this time I switched the router off before "pulling the plug".
Problem solved, I guess Grin  Cool Thanks Spraxyt Smiley Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: hollytree
The only difference between what I did originally and what I did now is that this time I switched the router off before "pulling the plug".

Did you mean switched the PC off?
Though you shouldn't have to - for the experiment I mentioned a couple of replies ago my PC was live when I unplugged its network/Ethernet cable, and plugged it back in after a few minutes. Wireless continued to work (to a different device) throughout.
Quote from: spraxyt
Now that your router has been restarted if you turn off the wired PC again does wireless still fail?

I think I should have said hibernate your wired PC there.  Sad
David
hollytree
Rising Star

Nope, I meant the router. To be clear, what I was doing initially was disconnecting the cable between the router and the wired pc whilst the router was "on", ie it was transmitting data etc. I guess it didn't like that!
Re the second query about hibernating my PC, I'm still running Windows XP and I'm pretty sure XP doesn't have that facility.