Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling technicolour wireless disconnection

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Puzzling technicolour wireless disconnection

Interesting spraxt. Sounds a little different to my issue, even though like you I occasionally get this popup. My main issue is a complete lack of internet connectivity.  I can access the router website but cannot connect to any webpage, in particular Google.  Rebooting has no effect on this,  and usually remaking the wireless sorted it, but niw even this dosnt work. I was starting to blame the tablet but then my phone has also done it once as well, and this is when I checked the tablet and the windows laptop, all the same, no internet access, laptop had yellow exclamatiin mark. Laptop came back uo after 10 or 15secs, but it took about 10 to 15mins for the android devices and interestingly Google was the last to come back. Couldnt even access net thriugh apps etc.  Its a timeout issue, as mentioned by the browsers, and I wonder its caching timed out pages, but wouldnt a reboot clear cache??? I have seen a post about the exact same issue affectung win 8 and 8.1, and turning of upnp is a cure on the tg582n.
Ideas.....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fortunately my wired or wireless attached devices rarely have connectivity problems, and if they do restarting the device fixes the problem. I wonder if each one always having the same IP address helps?
Whenever I connect a new device, which is duly allocated an IP address by DHCP, I go into Home Network settings on the router and tick the "Always use the same IP address" check box for the new device. That means whenever the device is restarted or wakes from stand-by/hibernation it doesn't matter if it tries to connect using what would otherwise be a stale IP address, because having an infinite lease means it is still current.
One can speculate that a device trying to use an expired/stale internal IP address could be blocked from the Internet because to the router the MAC address it is passed is a duplicate - it already has a device with that MAC assigned on a different internal IP address.
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well its a possibility....  I have already given the tablet a fixed IP via the router, as you suggested, but not anything else.  Will give everything else a reserved IP as wall....  Switched off Eco mode as well.  now we wait, time will tell.  All appears OK at the min (famous last words!)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Curiouser and curiouser. . Just done it again... this time couldnt get laptop up and running as I had to go out.  I did notice however that its only certain websites affected.  I was on the argos site and it seemed to all stall out loading up a product.  Google still works but although it would search it wouldn't load up the search.  Plusnet stalled wiki would load front page but no search would work.  John Lewis loaded fine. Scan also fine. This was the same on the phone. Sky app worked and loaded up schedules and also controlled sky box ok confirming it was communicating through router. I took my phone outside and reverted to 3g and everything was ok. This seems to point to the router more and more. Not seen sure about these things but could the routing tables be corrupt and if so why does it eventually come back to normal and only seem to affect my android devices. Very puzzled now...
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: penfold
This seems to point to the router more and more. Not seen sure about these things but could the routing tables be corrupt and if so why does it eventually come back to normal and only seem to affect my android devices. Very puzzled now...

I guess it could be corruption of the routing table, and maybe that fixes itself when the entries expire and are deleted. One assumes the table content should be self maintaining, with older entries (expired or not) removed if space is needed for a new one. The router should be able to do that without corrupting the table. But if a software bug leads to two tables overflowing into the same memory Huh there could be corruption. As to why only Android devices… Does the laptop always work when phones, etc are affected? Phones might be served different (mobile) pages from those served to the laptop.
In case the software image has been corrupted I suppose one could try a factory reset. Otherwise ensure the latest software is being used.
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks... I came back after about 2hrs (posted previous when out) and all was fine. Does anyone know about the tg582n routing table and indeed if its possible to manually look at and delete things. I need to do more investigation such as is the windows system affected with the same webpage issues. It maybe only mobile sites affected. .. first thing really is to factory reset the router and then maybe revert back to the older firmware. The upgrade to 10 was not as straightforward as I imagined and needed a couple of reboots to get things working ok...
spraxyt
Resting Legend

My router still runs the original 8.4.4.J software. With that one assumes a bug of this type would have been well aired. However the 10.x software is probably less widely exercised.
This is not something I've looked into, but it's possible the routing table can be managed via the CLI.
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the continued input spraxt, I appreciate the insights... Its an odd issue to be sure is this... I wish I could do more testing, but its random when it happens. I have noticed thinking about it that things do start to get a little laggy before this happens. Its like the internet is running out of steam Crazy
I would have thought if this was more widely spread then it would have been picked up by others... it seems to be sites I use regularly that are affected, internet works fine on sites that are rarely used, but I was confused that the Wikipedia web page would load but not show the pages of anything else, even thing I would not search for in a million yrs. Do you have upnp switched on on your router. I did switch mine on a while back after having issues with the sky app not finding the sky box. In the end this was not the issue but something to do with dnla sharing over the local LAN. NPRs cli page pointed me in the right direction. If I downgrade the firmware is it best to do the downgrade and then factory reset?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry, been busy with other things.
I have UPnP enabled, and Extended Security too. Don't have any games/port forwarding assigned. The settings are the defaults, not something I've changed. I have changed time synchronisation so it checks only once per day, but that affects (or should affect) only clutter in the event log.
I wonder if 'things getting laggy' is a clue? The could imply something needs to be added to the table, but it's full and nothing has expired. So it overwrites the oldest item. Then shortly afterwards the overwritten item is needed again, so something else is overwritten. And so on…
Do you have a lot of browser tabs open which refresh page content at intervals? I have a large number of browser tabs, but none actively refresh. That's isn't a deliberate policy, the thought just cropped up now.
If you are going to do a factory reset I suggest trying it with the existing software first. If that fixes the problem it's a result and you know the 10.x software is not the problem. If you downgrade the software then reset two things have been changed so if the problem goes away one can't say which change provided the solution.
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks
Seems your router is as 'out of the box' near enough. Only thing I did to mine was to do this fix to get the Sky+app running properly, it kept losing the box, and refused to see it again.
DNLA Server (Media Sharing) Not Discovered Across LAN / WLAN.    SOLVED This issue is present in firmware 8.2.7.7  Don't know about other firmware versions.
eth bridge igmpsnooping config brname=bridge state=disabled
I will factory reset it, on the current 10.x firmware and see if this solves the issues. I do also have an older thompson hanging around from when Plusnet used to supply these, could swop out as well...
What confounds me is the websites that wont load.... Google, Plusnet always fail, but the BBC website loaded up fine last time. Must be websites I use alot, that then start to timeout. Do you know how long the routing table entrys stay valid for, although it may not even be this, and just some corruption in the router. I am sure it cant be a samsung issue, as there would be uproar if it was, and my devices are not old or non-standard.
Will keep posted about what happens after the reset.
@hollytree....  Apologies, I seem to have hijacked your thread......
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just thought of something that might be significant. My desktop computer (Vista + Firefox mostly). which I use for search and to visit lots of sites is set to use DNS directly from the internet, and not DNS from the router. Other devices do use the router for DNS but they tend to get information from a small number of sites so table entries will not be particularly volatile.
Sorry I've no idea how long routing tables remain valid for. I've been using the term as a generic one meaning any table the router uses for doing its job. In fact it looks like the actual "routing table" is quite small, mine has just 13 entries:
[code=routing table]
{admin}=>ip rtlist
Label            Destination          Gateway  Interface    Mtc Admin  Oper
                10.0.0.138/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
                10.0.0.255/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
                  127.0.0.1/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
              192.168.1.254/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
              192.168.1.255/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
              My IP address/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
            255.255.255.255/32      127.0.0.1  loop          0  UP    [UP]
            195.166.128.191/32  My IP address  Internet      0  UP    UP
                212.159.6.9/32                  Internet      10  UP    UP
              212.159.6.10/32                  Internet      10  UP    UP
                  10.0.0.0/24      10.0.0.138  LocalNetwork  0  UP    [UP]
                192.168.1.0/24  192.168.1.254  LocalNetwork  0  UP    [UP]
                    0.0.0.0/0                  Internet      10  UP    UP
{admin}=>[/code]
David
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@sprayxt and penfold: LOL major hijacking of my original post Shocked but no problem.....  Wink Smiley I've been on a xmas & new year break, so greetings one and all.
Since my last post the topic has broadened out quite a bit  ..but no-one else seems to have  the original issue which is strange.  Is it worth my while pursuing it with the PN staff via that ticketing thingy? Last time I tried that route I got nowhere.. they were so busy Sad
In the meantime, I'll try that option suggested way back of shutting down the wireless pc when the wireless connection disappears and rebooting it.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi, welcome back and Happy New Year.
Yes, penfold and myself did broaden the topic (as you kindly described it) but the main topic hijacking problem is when different branch discussions are mixed together, and fortunately that was avoided here. Cool
Returning to your own branch I think there were two outstanding suggestions:
Quote from: spraxyt
In the absence of anything better to suggest you could try doing a factory reset on the router. TR069 (if active) should connect it to Plusnet again but any other changed settings would be lost.

Quote from: spraxyt
If the router is restarted with nothing connected to it (Ethernet cables unplugged at start up) does the wireless turn on and continue working normally?

I doubt that raising a ticket would achieve much unless the hardware team get involved since the problem seems to be your side of the master socket. It could be a hardware fault which one or both of those suggestions might throw light on. If a hardware fault is suspected the Digital Care Team might be able to help. Hopefully they'll pop in here next week. Is your router still within its 12 month warranty?
David
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi sprayxt & happy new year to you too.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try your 2nd suggestion first.
Re the1st suggestion of a factory reset, I can give it a go but I'd find it helpful to know first what TR069 is... can you point me in the right direction?!
Re the router itself possibly being faulty: yes, it's well within the 12-month warranty period, I'll leave that option as the last resort.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

TR069 is the management protocol which enables suitably configured routers to set themselves up automatically.
Details are given in the Easy Setup FAQ http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/tr69faq.shtml. The TG582n is configured for TR069 even though it is not included in the list in that article.
David