Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling Speed issues

Draftrabbit
Dabbler

Puzzling Speed issues

Good Evening,
I raised a call on the 28th at 04:15( tried to be as early as possible)
It appears every 2 months or so my  line profile gets changed from the 41~mb profile it normally has to a 38mb profile, upon this I go from 4.8MB/s to 4.1MB/S and my ping when gaming rockets to over 100 normally it sits at about 39-46 which although is only a speed loss of 700kbp/s down and I am struggling to get my 5 megabits up it is still a frustration for a Heavy internet Gamer/streamer such as myself.
I've waited the required 1 day and 20 hours but I don't appear to getting a resolution,
I'd like to obtain a Line Profile reset to regain my 41~ mb profile but I am having to have this happen once every few months in order to keep my speed.

If someone can point me to how to obtain my line stats from a Asus RT-N66u Router then I can post them too.
My speed stats as of when i raised the call
Wondering how I should progress, Although a BT engineer appeared today (although I was not informed of his visit) and he checked my line (apparently) and said things were fine when I mentioned my speed problems he said there had been no other reported problems and that he was here to check some Upgrades they had made to our cabs, after this I contacted BT to inquire about this and the person I had spoken too had said there was upgrades to improve speeds to FTTC products and when I asked what speed I could achieve he said somewhere in the region of 43Mb-59Mb.
My question is if my line can support up to 60MB why does it drop from 41 to 36-38 every few months and How could I obtain this mythical speed improvement?
Edit #1: Just checked the BT broadband Availability checker Confirms the speed myths.

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Puzzling Speed issues

As you are on fibre a reset is only possible by an engineer visiting the Cab
It will be reduced by the automatic systems which Plusnet can't change
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

Normally a PN side line check is done and my connection will return to normal, at least that's what happened in September and in April.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I will be interested to hear what a line side check actually does - note to self - watch this thread for an answer
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

I too am not sure what it does but it does seem to work, but what I cant understand is if I can get 50~mb from BT why should I sit on 38-41 with PN if they are essentially selling the same product.
Although I do like PN alot the only issue I ever have is this one.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Jim says, we can't reset or make many changes to a Fibre line. We can do a line test, which shouldn't cause any changes to the line or we can check the profile on our side matches the BT one. Your profile on our side is set as it should be for the line at the moment. If you continue to see issues then I'd suggest reporting this to us at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

Hi Chris I did report this however that was a full 3 days and 8 hours ago,
Not heard anything back so far

Date raised Question ID Status Options
28 Dec 2013 79091630 Awaiting support team answer ViewClose
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ah yes, however that's not a fault ticket unfortunately. Can you go through the link I've sent as this gives some tests for you to go through and will put the ticket into the correct area for our faults team to pick it up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

That's all done it's puzzling because I went through all of that to raise the first call which ended up as 79091627 and 79091630.
However as BT have promised me a speed increase of 25% I might be looking at a migration.

Date raised Question ID Status Options
31 Dec 2013 79202741 Awaiting support team answer ViewClose
28 Dec 2013 79091630 Awaiting support team answer ViewClose
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry for the delay in your fault getting picked up, I'd expect this to have been tested before the end of the week and possibly escalated to our suppliers as well depending on what the tests show.
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

Ok to update people,
I had a fair few conversations with support since the 28th, and so far my connection had deteriorated to a Dismal (in my eyes) 35mb, I had spoken with Support multiple times and they were not able to offer a solution.
I spoke to the Sales team who then actually achieved what I was looking for and raised my speeds to just over 42mb, however it was testing on the BT performance tester at 66MB and 113MB respectively.
However after several resets there was some electrical work being done, I am back down to 35mb which is kind of depressing, I managed to catch a BTOR engineer that was here on something slightly unrelated and asked if there was any issues or if there had been an influx in use, although he wouldnt tell me, however after I explained my issue he was slightly more helpful and suggested maybe there has been some sort of issues between our exchange and us as a few people had complained about similar issues with BT.
This has now been going on for 2 days shy of a month and it seems like we are moving forward.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The fault ticket is currently sat with yourself awaiting a response, I'd recommend adding a bit of detail around the above to the ticket along with what you're hoping to happen and passing it back to our team? That way we'll be able to get back onto it for you. You can reply to the ticket at http://contactus.plus.net