Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzled By Stuck Speed

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Puzzled By Stuck Speed

The small speed jump wouldn't make that much difference but I'm puzzled why it hasn't happened.
First the line speed was high enough for a connection speed of 6500 for around a couple of weeks. BT was showing one of the odd ips of around 6700. Plusnet never budged from 5500.
Then the connection showed a drop so I thought that Plusnet had finally caught up but instead it was BT that was now showing an ip of 5500 even though the line rate was still high enough for a connection speed of 6500. The tail wagging the dog as I said in an earlier post.
A further week has now gone by with both Plusnet and BT still showing 5500 even though the line hasn't dropped and still remains high enough for a connection speed of 6500.
As I said it doesn't matter that much but if things don't work when it doesn't matter then it will probably do just the same when it does.
I'm sure this is somehow tied in with the odd ip business and the interaction between Plusnet and BT. Whatever language the computers use to talk to each other they clearly need to shout louder.
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Puzzled By Stuck Speed

Hi there,
The profile we're seeing on BTs reporting system is at 5500 and has been since the 26th June. Sync rates of around 7300kb/s have been recorded however I'm not sure why the profile hasn't uplifted, unless the line didn't maintain that speed for long - you could try resyncing the connection around lunchtime (please do this via the router's interface rather than by unplugging/turning off the router though) for a couple of days on the trot and see if that gives the profile the nudge it requires?
matt_2k34
Grafter

Good advice^
Its also worth noting that the smaller the increase the longer it takes to apply said increase See: - How long an increase takes to occur
Also worth noting that quite often the profile increase wont take affect until you nudge it 😛
billnotben
Community Veteran

It's over eight days with BT stuck on 5500 (Bandwidth 7,424). It was over that with Plusnet stuck on 5500 when BT was showing 6700+.
Maybe Plusnet can't answer for BT but they should have at least answered for themselves.
Being on the silly 3 noise margin it will be a 9.30pm reset when I pull the plug (that's just an expression).
So that's supposed to wake BT up. "Turn it off and then on again" now where have I heard that?
I much more favour a size twelve pointed boot right up the ...................... for waking up people, and the extra large king dick adjustable for all things mechanical. Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

Router turned off and on again as requested and BT woke up immediately with one of their odd profiles.
Been nearly 24 hours now so can someone turn Plusnet off and on again to wake up the profile catch up?

"Its also worth noting that the smaller the increase the longer it takes to apply said increase"
Yes but it should be faster than a month. Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The profile is showing on BTs systems at 6500 and matched on our own, as of the 3rd. Are you still seeing 5500 listed anywhere, especially on BT speed test results?
cornwallsurfer
Grafter

My bt speed test result shows 6000 yet plusnet tell me my profile and bras show 8000!  Clearly something is not right. Been trying to sort my problems out for weeks now.  Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I appreciate your frustration but this is all being dealt with on the fault ticket, and other than investigating and chasing the fault there's nothing we can do to adjust the profile until the line is stable and not banded in any way. I can see the faults team have advised they're getting the banding removed for you, we'll have an update for you soon.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt
The profile is showing on BTs systems at 6500 and matched on our own, as of the 3rd. Are you still seeing 5500 listed anywhere, especially on BT speed test results?

Not anywhere since Plusnet's changed from 5500 this morning (the 8th). If you are seeing some different date then that's where the problem stems from.
To be fair to Plusnet, and looking at the far more than usual ip update requests on this forum, the introduction of BT's new way of calculating speed profiles must be somehow related to this.
cornwallsurfer
Grafter

Clearly plusnets definition of soon is not the same as mine! Just as well I didn't hold my breath. But then this is just the sort exeptionally poor service you have to get used to with plusnet. MAC request time first thing Monday morning.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi billnotben
I've just ran some checks on the line and it's reporting the bRAS profile as 6000, which is the same as the PN one. What are you getting on the BT speed tester now?
Jojo Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

Hi Joanne, yes it's following it up and down fine now.
It seems it was good advice to cycle the router off/on if the connection gets a bit mixed up at the BT end.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, well just let me know if you need any more assistance Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

Now that's a new twist on the odd BT speeds. Been at 6000 both BT and Plusnet and now without any disconnections of any sort the speed has jumped a bit.
Checked on BT and sure enough it's now showing IP Profile for your line is - 6446.
Must be a new phase in the BT testing(?) as previously the back and forth changes between odd and even profiles always involved a line drop.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI billnotben,
Strange, I'll bump it up to 6500 here so you can get the full benefit of it.
Jojo Smiley