Did you mean: 

Profile stuck ?

andysen
Grafter

Profile stuck ?

So here are the stats:
Sync speed: 5095
BT IP profile: 4494 Kbps
So why is plusnet's profile is still stuck at 3.5 Mbps ? (I believe it should be at 4 ?) Can someone please give it a nudge ?
(I've had to invest in a fairly expensive router and spend many, many weeks tweaking it/waiting for the 72 hour stabilization, so would really appreciate every bit I can get from my line)

9 REPLIES 9
Grafter

Re: Profile stuck ?

Have a look at the last few pages of this discussion and you will see that there seems t be a problem with the reports that PN get from BT. We are all hoping that this will be sorted soon.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97407.208.html
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: AndyS
So why is plusnet's profile is still stuck at 3.5 Mbps ?

It is because of the new 88.2% IP profile method and Plusnet's system hasn't been updated to work with it yet. I believe it is being updated in December.
andysen
Grafter

Understood and I am not expecting Plusnet to match BT's IP profile.
But if plusnet is using the "old" method - shouldn't a 5Mbps sync give a 4Mbps IP profile ?
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

shouldn't a 5Mbps sync give a 4Mbps IP profile ?

No, because 5095kbps is out of the range of 4Mbps and it is out of the range of 4.5Mbps. As it doesn't fit into either of those ranges, Plusnet doesn't change the profile.
There is more info here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

When one of the Plusnet staff members team picks up this thread, they will set your profile in Plusnet's system as 4500kbps so you can use all of the speed available in the profile. If it was at 4000kbps you would loose 200-300kbps of speed.
andysen
Grafter

Thank you sjrinfroyle this makes sense  now- I had assumed that the IP profile would pick the nearest lower profile.
I do use the kitz site now and then, but they need to update their calculator as well, since it doesn't accept 5095 as a valid sync value (http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IP_profile_calculated)
Let's see if I can reduce my sync speed by a bit so that's its a 'valid' sync again, and then I can get that extra 500Kbps....
Edit: I'll wait for Plusnet to see if they'll manually set the profile, else the above option is always there
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Let's see if I can reduce my sync speed by a bit so that's its a 'valid' sync again, and then I can get that extra 500Kbps....

You will probably still have to get one of the Plusnet staff to change the Plusnet profile as the system isn't working with the new profiles yet.
Thank you sjrinfroyle this makes sense  now

Thank you, I do try :).
Grafter

With the current problems, even if you do get PN to lift your profile it may well drop back as the BT system seems to be reporting incorrect data to PN and their automatic system may respond and drop profile. This has happened to me my current sync is 13113 with BT profile of 11565 but PN profile is only 10M. Getting it raised manually by PN only gives a raised profile for part of a day until the auto system kicks in and drops it back to 10M. I'm looking forward to update to BT/PN systems.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: 32110
I'm looking forward to update to BT/PN systems.

I am still on the old system so I still have to wait ages for my profile to increase!