Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile stuck? any suggestions?

bengolia
Grafter

Re: Profile stuck? any suggestions?

Hi Jo,
it's a netgear DG384G v2, i've updated to the latest firmware (can't remember exactly which one but it's router firmware v3.xx.xx and adsl firmware v7.xx) sorry i can't be any more precise but i don't have the router here atr the moment.
I've noticed that someone else was having issues with the exchange trying to negotiate at 3dB which resulted in connection drops, could this be the case?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bengolia,
The thing is there's a lot of connections timing out at exactly 8 minutes. Is there an idle timeout setting on the router? If so, select 0 or always on.
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Jo,
timeout has always been set to 0 and this hasn't changed between yesterday before 5pm and yesterday after 5:30 pm when the connection drops started.
bengolia
Grafter

Also i guess it doesn't hurt to ask, is there any suggested value for MTU? Should we set PPPoA or PPPoE (i normally use PPPoE) or suggestions for other relevant values we might need to set?
Hopefully i'll have a working connection with the mobile when i get home so i can check back here.
It does look to me as when the Rx was at 6dB the connection was stable but than it lowered to 5 and started dipping even lower with an increased sync rate but unstable line. To be honest i was far happy with Sync at 15140 and 6dB noise margin
Epyon
Grafter

Try PPPOA
MTU is 1500
bengolia
Grafter

well thank you Epyon, unfortunally that didn't sdolve the problem. I keep having stats like this:
ADSL Link                       Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed         15227 kbps 445 kbps
Line Attenuation                         23 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin                           5 db 20 db
with the downstream noise margin fluctuating down to 0 as soon as some bandwidth is used, when it was 6 db it hardly moved from there and the connectinon was stable for over 3 days
bengolia
Grafter

is there a way to hard set the noise margin router side to 6db? i'm getting more and more the impression that this is what is causing all this problems now. i know we will loose a bit of speed (15120 bps at 6bd compared to 15227 at 5db or lower) but it did look much  much more stable 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bengolia,
I could look at hard fixing the SNR to 6dB from the exchange side. It wouldn't stop the SNR from fluctuating but whenever the line re-syncs it would start at 6dB.
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Jo,
managed to grab a screen so hopefully it will make it more clear, i do have more screens with similar patterns from yesterday
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not liking these drops every 8 minutes. Have you tried another router during all this?
bengolia
Grafter

i could try a different router tonight but when we tried it made no difference, why do you say the drops are every 8 minutes?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bengolia,
Not every drop is 8 minutes, but in the last 36 hours you have had 11 drops that have been exactly 8 minutes. It may not be relevant but definitely worth trying another router.
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

by the way re received another reply on the ticket and again the usual request for the engineer appointment. luckily one of us is at home this week (what's left of it) so we should get the guy to turn up and check ... i wish i was there too to debate any possible conclusions
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Still worth trying another router though.
bengolia
Grafter

i will plug in the d-link as i get home, might be able to pinch another one from a friend too so 3 routers are better than 2 i guess?
strange thing is that we had solid connection for over 3 days until it got uncapped and than monday 17:30 boom bye bye  Angry