Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile stuck? any suggestions?

bengolia
Grafter

Profile stuck? any suggestions?

Hello,
since last week's "fibre cut" and unability to connect for a while we've been stuck on really low speed since been able to connect again.
raised ticket, changed router and microfilter, in various and colorfull combinations but still nothing, this is the outcome:
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 287 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 445 kbps
Today we have been provided by the support with the attached picture which doesn't really explain anything to us.
What we can see is this:
Phone exchange:
WINTON
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-03-21 21:29:48
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb
Obviously we have been offered for a BT Tech to come around as all the tests have passes on the line but...
Any suggestions?
69 REPLIES 69
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Profile stuck? any suggestions?

Hi bengolia,
the graph is showing your disconnections. Have you been restarting your router in an attempt to get a better speed? If not then you have an intermittent connection issue. If you have been restarting then this won't help your speed return as the system will think your line is unstable due to the disconnects. I may be able to help, but I need to know why these disconnections occurred and whether you are in your test socket?
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
thank you for the reply. I can confirm that apart for the connections/disconnections on Friday 1st april all the rest are related to us restarting the router, changing the filter, changing the router and changing the socket. We had tried to use the test socket for over 24 Hours with no results, it just looks like the connection speed is capped.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, if you plug it into the test socket now I will run some tests for you and see if there is anything  can do Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
we are now in the test socket.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great, I'll see what I can come up with.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, there's some curious things going on from what I can see. We've requested that you give us 3 possible engineers times on your ticket, so if you could reply to that or call us on 08541 400 200 and let us know when you would be available then we can get moving on it for you.
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

well that is the reason for my post, unfortunally those slots are during our working hours otherwise we would have gone that route allready. It just seems to me after reading other similar posts that our profile has been lowered after all those disconnections and unless we agree to get a BT guy to come around and say oh there is nothing wrong in here as everything is as it was before last weeks problem
bengolia
Grafter

what is kind of getting annoing is that we still haven't had a reply on this:
Phone exchange:
    WINTON
Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-03-21 21:29:48
Current line speed:
    0.25 Mb
zubel
Community Veteran

That's merely a side-effect of your disconnection issue, which *will* require an engineer, most likely.
B.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bengolia,
Unfortunately we can only book engineers in the slots advised on the ticket, we can't be more specific than either in the morning between 8 and 1 or in the afternoon between 1 and 6. Sometimes weekend appointments are available but this is very rarely the case.
We'll not be able to progress the fault without an engineer visit though I'm afraid.
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Matt,
i can see your point but take this into account:
the BT Tech comes here and finds no fault with our side, he will test our router(s), filter(s) causeing again a disconnection which will reset the 72 hours timer as stated in the support tickets that is required by the exchange to automatically raise the profile. What is he going to do? Call somebody to say there is nothing wrong, proceed with raising the profile? Apparently not, he will just sit tight and we will have to wait 72 more hours to get this sorted, meanwhile we lost 1 and a half days of work because we had to be in for the 3 slots required.
If that's not the case and he will than be able to get someone to raise the profile once realised that nothing is wrong on our end than i don't see the problem in making an attempt without the tech coming around, i mean worst case scenario the exchange will lower our profile once again right?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bengolia,
The thing is, your line has a dropping connection fault. This has caused the profile to be lowered, which is the cause of the slow speed. There are no disconnections because the line is running at a much lower speed and is therefore much more resistant to errors. The profile won't rise again until the dropping connection fault has been resolved, which won't happen until an engineer can visit your premises to test the line from there to see if there's a fault with the wiring.
It's not that I don't see what you're saying, but we need to address the root cause which as it stands I'm afraid can't be fixed without an engineer visit to your premises. There's only so much that can be done by testing from the exchange side 😕
I hope that helps explain things a bit more, and at least gives you an idea of what the engineer will be doing and what's actually causing the slow speed.
bengolia
Grafter

i underst that but what i'm trying to say is that we have been told there is no problems on the line after all the checks done further to us raising the ticket. Further to that we were asked to try using the test socket, try a different filter, try a different router so all this as you can understand will cause us to disconnect unless there is a way to unplug the wire and remain connected but in my 15 years of online experiences i've never knew. besides if we had a usb modem that was connected to a pc we would shut down at the end of every surfing session we would be condemned to 56k speed and we would never have a constant connection right?
i'm seriously failing to understand were is the obstacle in trying to raise the profile as it has been done before according to other posts in the forum without the engeneer going out.
i mean we started to get connection problems when the accident reported on the status page happened and offcourse we left the router on so it kept disconnecting. how were we supposed to know that this would cause us to get the profile lowered? we didn't have access to the internet and we surely didn't get any sms nothification about what happened and why the line kept dropping
bengolia
Grafter

what is getting on my nerves now except from the lack of answers from the support team is that with this ridiculous slow speed we can't even look for a new provider! i mean this is the first major problem we had in the past 4 years and if the service is like this you know...