Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile reset?

Jamesw
Dabbler

Profile reset?

Hi,
I have a sych speed of 2000kbps, but the BT Speedtester gives me this result:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1763 kbps
As there is such a difference between the sync speed and the profile does this mean my profile needs to be reset?
Any views appreciated
James
PS - Im on the Broadband yr way pro package if that helps.
11 REPLIES 11
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Profile reset?

Quote from: Jamesw
I have a sych speed of 2000kbps.

Please post the evidence, BT thinks otherwise. Crazy
MickKi
Grafter

. . . as per:  6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Your actual throughput (your experienced download speed) is rather lower at 1763 kbps, which is probably due to traffic contention at your exchange, or across the Internet - too many people are trying to squeeze too much data, down a narrower than needed pipe.  As a matter of fact many routes have been running as a pig over the last couple of weeks during peak times.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Jamesw

I have a sync speed of 2000kbps, …

Are you perhaps confusing sync speed with what it says under High-speed Broadband in the Member Centre?
If so this is the equivalent of the IP Profile shown by the BT Speedtester …
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1763 kbps

and should be 5000kbps. The setting of 2000kbps looks suspiciously like the PlusNet value is stuck. I suggest you raise a ticket asking for the High-speed broadband value to be reset to correspond with your IP Profile of 5000kbps.
David
MickKi
Grafter

I am not sure I have grasped the meaning/purpose of the High-speed Broadband value shown in the Member Centre.  Is it simply to help the user find out what their IP Profile is, instead of them having to run the BT speedtest every time?
What happens if it has indeed got stuck and shows a higher or a lower value than the real BT IP Profile?
Does this affect in any way the user's trhoughput speed?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The PlusNet high speed broadband should be the same as the BT speedtester  profile, though it isn't just a showing you what the BT one is.
If  the PlusNet one is lower the throughput is restricted to what it says in the member centre.
If it gets stuck then a ticket can be raised to get PlusNet to tweak it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Jamesw
Dabbler

Did exactly as you suggested Spraxyt - and now sorted.
Good spot and many thanks!
James
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
If  the PlusNet one is lower the throughput is restricted to what it says in the member centre.

I didn't know this.  I thought that it has no effect on actual speeds, unlike the BT IP Profile which evidently does.  Mine is stuck (upwards) at 8000 kbps, while the BT IP Profile is stabilised at 6000.  Since this does not have an adverse effect on my actual throughput I left it as such (did not raise a ticket with CSC).  Am I right in my assumptions here?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

This means PlusNet could be transmitting some data to you faster than BTw's bRAS can deliver it, so packets get randomly dropped and have to be sent again from the source website. So throughput is potentially a little slower than it could be.
However if you are happy with the throughput you are getting there is no need to disturb things. It's your call.
David
MickKi
Grafter

Hmm, interesting.  I have noticed that speedtests will invariably achieve 5.7 to 5.8 Mbps throughput against my BT Profile of 6000.  I interpreted this to be due to packet overheads.  This is a reliable occurence with different test servers.
However, when I download a large file, e.g. a video, or an .iso file I regularly see speeds of 6.1 to 6.2 Mbps, sometimes higher.  Would this be related to the fact that my PlusNet IP Profile is 8000?
I am happy that I can get 6.2 Mbps where it matters, i.e. when I am doing an actual download, rather than when I run a speed test.  So, I would like to keep this performance level if I can.  Would setting the PlusNet profile at 6000 to correspond to my line's BT Profile of 6000 mean that I will lose these higher download speeds?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The performance you mention is excellent.
I assume getting more than the profiled download speed on real data transfers is due to data compression, I'm not sure exactly where in the transmission path this occurs. Speed tests will be designed to avoid compression, and they also are of shorter duration than a large download. If the start-up effect (hand-shaking, etc) for the speedtest lasted 0.5 seconds (say) and the speedtest took 20 seconds (many are shorter than that) then 2.5% of the transmission time is affected, and 2.5% of 6000 is 150kbps. So it is easy to see why speeds measured in speedtests come out under the profile speed.
My suggestion is  leave things as they are.
David
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
My suggestion is  leave things as they are.

Good stuff!  Thank you for your advice and apologies to the OP, if I have somewhat hi-jacked his thread.