cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile rates driving me mad!!!!!!!

CX
Grafter

Re: Profile rates driving me mad!!!!!!!

inhost and itsme; out of curiosity, what speed do you get on www.speedtest.net compared to your PN profiles of 1.2Mb and 1Mb?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: CX23882
inhost and itsme; out of curiosity, what speed do you get on www.speedtest.net compared to your PN profiles of 1.2Mb and 1Mb?

Sorry but can't see the point when the limiting factor is the PN profile.
CX
Grafter

I know that.
But for my connection at least, the Speedtest results are coming back consistently 0.10Mb/s lower than the PN profile. I wondered if the same applies to anybody else.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I know that.
But for my connection at least, the Speedtest results are coming back consistently 0.10Mb/s lower than the PN profile.

That is due to overheads on the line, your max download speed will always be less than your Plusnet profile.
I hope that helps.
CX
Grafter

The whole point of the BT IP profile being at 88.2% of the sync rate is to take into account overheads. These artificial "overheads" are coming from Plusnet's system because when with a sync rate of 2100+ and a BT profile of 1900:
PN @2.0 - actual = 1.90Mbps
PN @1.9 - actual = 1.80Mbps
PN @1.8 - actual = 1.70Mbps
PN @1.7 - actual = 1.60Mbps
Consider the first test: With the BT profile at 1.9, and the PN profile up at 2.0, I get 1.9 real-world throughput. This is how it should be - it should not be limited to 1.8, which is what's happening with the PN profile at 1.9.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

You still have overheads even with the new profile system. You have overheads with PPoA and PPoE. You will never get the same speed as the Plusnet profile. That is how ADSL was (and still is) designed. It even happens on FTTC.
CX
Grafter

I'm aware that there will be overheads, but look closely at what is happening.
The BT IP profile is at 1.9Mbps, so I can't transfer any faster than that - fine. Under ideal conditions I would be able to get 1.9Mbps and I do get this if the PN profile is set to 2.0Mbps (as I would if I was with another ISP). So yes, it is possible to transfer data up to the level of the BT IP profile. When the PN profile is set to match the BT profile, the maximum bandwidth decreases by 0.10Mb.
Why should those of us with low speed connections tolerate losing an additional 100kbps off our connection, when we wouldn't be seeing that with a different ISP that only relied on the BT IP profile to prevent data backing up?
I'm sure that adds up to quite a nice saving over a few thousand customers though.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Ok, here is a speed test I did:

Even with the Plusnet profile set to higher than 4Mb I would still only be able to get 3.7Mbps, even under ideal conditions. So I don't see how you can get what the profile is giving you as you will always get slower than the profile.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

With the BT profile at 1.9, and the PN profile up at 2.0, I get 1.9 real-world throughput.

I am afraid that it is impossible to get 1900kbps on a 1900kbps profile. I think that it is a misreport by the speed test.
itsme
Grafter

It is possible to go faster than the BT profile as BT does not actively limit the download but max out up to the sync speed.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
I am afraid that it is impossible to get 1900kbps on a 1900kbps profile. I think that it is a misreport by the speed test.

You're missing the point.
1) I have a connection @2160kbps. BT profile gets set to 1905kbps.
2) For starters, PN profile was (incorrectly) at 2.0Mb (from a previous higher sync) and speed tests came back at around 1.90Mbps. Tthis was for the connection stated in (1)
3) Then, the PN profile was manually adjusted to what it "should" be to match (1.9Mbps), the speed tests now come back at 1.80Mbps.
If it was a misreport, then there would not have been a measurable and repeatable decrease in max throughput when Plusnet knocked down the profile.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
It is possible to go faster than the BT profile as BT does not actively limit the download but max out up to the sync speed

The IP profile does limit your speed because it accounts for overheads.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

1) I have a connection @2160kbps. BT profile gets set to 1905kbps.
2) For starters, PN profile was (incorrectly) at 2.0Mb (from a previous higher sync) and speed tests came back at around 1.90Mbps.
3) Then, the PN profile was manually adjusted to what it "should" be to match (1.9Mbps), the speed tests now come back at 1.80Mbps.

That problem happens to me sometimes. I don't quite know what causes it. I have another problem though that if my IP profile is set to say 6000kbps and the Plusnet profile set to 4000kbps I can still download at 5800kbps which is very strange. A new system is coming in on Monday and maybe it will do something.
I am sorry that it seemed like I didn't understand your point. I did but I was just stating the facts about the profiles.
I hope that helps.
CX
Grafter

No worries. Smiley
The system seems pretty screwed up at the moment - when PN profile changes occur automatically they don't always appear to get reflected in the My Account page. Maybe it's better if I raise this after the 12th, when everything on the BT side of things is supposedly finalised.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Personally I think they should get rid of the profiles on their side completely. Other ISPs have traffic management and they don't have profiles on their side. It's just a silly system and IP profiles, lets not go there Smiley