cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile rates driving me mad!!!!!!!

inhost
Grafter

Profile rates driving me mad!!!!!!!

I am so pleased I signed up on a month to month contract this time, looks like it is time to move on again...
Living quite far from the exchange I don't expect a great speed but the constant fluctuation is driving me mad.
PLUS NET Profile 1.5 mbit
Router stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2640 kbps 447 kbps
Line Attenuation 64.5 db 33.3 db
Noise Margin 6.7 db 9.1 db
BT speed test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1315 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2640 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2329 Kbps

I know 6.7 db is very low for att 64.5 db, I have had BT out a few times, brand new cable to the cabinet which is right outside my house, router stays plugges in to the test socket with high quality cable and a very good and expensive micro filter, there has also been a massive amount of brand new phone cable replaced in the area due to an accident that took some of it out a little while ago.
The latest BT engineer did comment that the line was super clear and free from noise, even better than some houses he has been to who are a stone throw from the exchange.
Again I don't expect a fantastic download speed but what I am totally sick of is the CONSTANT miss match of IP profiles.
Yesterday my BT Ip profile was 1750 Plusnet was 1500 my download was around 900, now my IP profile is (ahem 2329) my PN profile is 1500 and my download is 1315.
Could someone PLEASE throw a logic bomb at all this please, customer should NOT be chasing plusnet for IP profile related issues.
And now my IP profile is at 2329 ?????????? what??????? something is not right there, I noticed an odd IP profile last time I rang plusnet of 2150, when I questioned it the guy just said "yeah there are some funny ones" ... common!
Please tell me Joanne still works these forums, if this is not sorted in 48 hours I will e leaving and going back to... yes it honestly was more stable and I am just as shocked as you Orange Broadband!
Someone stabilize me please.
47 REPLIES 47
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Profile rates driving me mad!!!!!!!

Are you seeing a variation of router/modem sync speed and noise margins or is it always constant ?
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed  2640 kbps  447 kbps
Line Attenuation  64.5 db  33.3 db
Noise Margin  6.7 db  9.1 db
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

And now my IP profile is at 2329 Huh?Huh?Huh?? what?Huh?Huh? something is not right there, I noticed an odd IP profile last time I rang plusnet of 2150, when I questioned it the guy just said "yeah there are some funny ones" ... common!
This thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97407.0.html should explain the 'odd' profile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

inhost
Grafter

Thanks MisterW
Interesting read.
I spend 45 minutes on the phone reporting the issue to plusnet today, the plusnet ip profile still does not match the BT one and what is even worse is that they just updated: #48478099 saying its fixed now you have a connection????
WHAT!?, I wasted 45 minutes going through all the details with the agent for it to be 'escalated' and have some lazy tech just ignore everything and say "All fixed"
And now my speed is worse that in was before:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 450 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2636 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2325 Kbps
router/modem sync speed and noise margins are always constant, I would wager a bet that I have one of the best long lines in England, I can probably kick the cabinet without stepping out of my front door and about 80% of the line to the exchange is brand spanking new.
With orange I synced at 2272 after the 10 day period and that is where it stayed for months and my ip profile was always at 2000.
I moved over to plusnet because Orange it turns out miss sold me the package and I was never on LLU so it was a point of principal, and now its gone mental as it was when I was originally with plusnet,..... so frustrating
I would have given plusnet more of a chance but after that ridiculous reply to the support ticket, if it is not fixed with a real solution e.g. remove me from the DSLAM once my profiles are aligned and the speed matches it I will be leaving within 24 hours now.
CX
Grafter

In theory, after 4 days, the Plusnet profile should go to 2Mbps, assuming you don't have any connection drops which put you below 2268kbps.
Maybe it's worth waiting one more month before leaving, since by that time BT should have apparently fully rolled out the updates to the profile reporting, meaning Plusnet's system will actually be able to see the new profiles in a reasonable amount of time, as opposed to the situation now where the new finer profile is applied instantly, but then gets converted to the old coarse profiles with the old delays.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see you've raised a fault, we'll get that updated as soon as we can. It looks like there have been some dropped connections on the line which won't be doing the profile any favours.
With regard to the profile reported by the speedtest though, these aren't yet completed - I believe the rest of the system is due to be updated in December but until then we're receiving the same delta reports we have been getting, so your 1500 profile that's currently set on our side matches the reports we're getting from our suppliers.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds like on Orange you were provisioned on a fixed rate 2mbit service, we could happily do the same for you if you ask.
inhost
Grafter

Seems like the speed has stabilised now:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1965 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2496 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2201 Kbps
The issue being is that due to the random inherent issues with long lines I know I will end up in a loop of going through ticket after ticket after ticket getting it resolved over and over and over again.
If you can put me on a fixed rate line that would be great assuming it does not affect the traffic prioritisation service I pay for?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI inhost,
It'll take 7 days to move you onto a fixed rate, so I wouldn't recommend doing it today, because it has happened before where someone was moved onto 2Meg fixed rate and it didn't work, It' then took another 24 hour order to get it moved. So, if I were to place the order today and it completed next Thursday/Friday, you could end up without service for that weekend. Give me a nudge on Monday if you're still happy to go for it and I'll place the order then.
Jojo Smiley
inhost
Grafter

Ah ha!
There is the superstar!
I am still happy to go for this, although I see my reply is a little late, please go ahead on what ever day you think is best even if that means waiting until Monday 21st to even make a start.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

yeah, I wish it had been yesterday you got back to me, but I would wait until Monday to be honest. Smiley
inhost
Grafter

Is this in progress then?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi inhost,
I've placed the order for you and confirmed this via ticket/email.
Jojo Smiley
inhost
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Sorry but this still has not been done.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 901 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2240 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1976 Kbps
FROM MY ROUTER:
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 5925003 8895363 0 512 1328 337:19:35
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2240 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.7 db 19.0 db
Speedtest.net hardly gets 1 mbit
And from Plusnet:
Telephone number:
016**********
Phone exchange:
ASHINGTON
Estimated line speed:
1.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-08-15 16:51:07
Current line speed:
1.2 Mb
Whats going on my line despite being connected and synced at 2240 for over 330 hours is still on an ip profile of 1.2 with plusnet?
itsme
Grafter

It's probably due to BT using the old profile system in the Delta reports they send to PN to update the Current Line Speed not reflecting the new 82.3% method.  I am in the same boat with a PN profile of 1mbps and  BT profile of 2002kbps. I'm waiting for the end of next week when the Delta report system should have been overhauled.