Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product change

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Product change

Whether its the increasingly bandwidth intensive nature of websites or a PC that is no longer up to the job, I've been finding web browsing speeds frustratingly slow recently. Is it time to change from my current 'up to 8Mbps' connection which actually runs at only 1.75Mbps, or should I take the plunge and spend an extra £10 per month for fibre?
What I would like to know is why the member centre reports my current connection of achieving 2.5Mbps download with 1 Mbps upload. I've never had a sync rate above 2.3Mbps or a profile above 2Mbps. What can I do to achieve such dizzying speeds as those suggested? Even the BT speed checker quotes a range from 1.5 to 3.5Mbps.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Product change

We can try moving you onto ADSL1 on 21CN rather than the current 20CN you're on to see if that makes any difference. I'd be reluctant to try ADSL2 though but any such orders to move between these services can be done with 1 working day's notice so let me know if that's something you thing you might want to try.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks Adam, but if I have to stick with ADSL1 I'd rather stay on 20CN.
I guess the estimate of 2.5Mbps d/l and 1Mbps u/l only applies if it were possible to move to  ADSL2+. I understand any improvement would be marginal and the risk of degradation or poor speeds due to the way the MSAN operates does not make such a move worthwhile.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The advantage of ADSL1 on 21CN is that instead of the big steps in IP Profile you get on 20CN it is always 88.2% of the current sync. If you are just below the speed to go up to the next step, moving to 21CN can make a significant difference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)