Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Refresh

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Product Refresh

I also think this thread has good mileage left yet. Answers will no doubt be forthcoming when PN has digested this thread and had their numerous meetings.
It also has a fair way to go to equal the Phorm thread (535 replies), another highly controversial subject.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
carrot63
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
A product without limits is an Unlimited product.

Indeed. But as has been pointed out many times here, your "Unlimited" service isn't unlimited. By imposing artificial limits on  how fast data can be downloaded, you are placing limits on the total amount it is possible to download. It may not be an FUP, but it has the same practical "facts on the ground" effect.
There is no limit on the product

The speeds on some protocols are limited, so there is a limit to the service.
We can debate the semantics of it if you like...

The semantics of the word have been debated hotly for quite some time now, including being the subject of TV programmes, consumer forums, complaints to the ASA, petitions and some rather fruitless complaints to Ofcom.
Much as it may upset marketing types and spreadsheet pushers, the meaning is defined by various dictionaries and not the ISPA. And by every universally accepted definition Plusnet and many other ISPs are using it dishonestly and in a way that should (but invariably doesn't) trigger action by regulators.
It may not be the same misuse as the FUP porkies, but porkies it is, and anyone signing up for this has every right to feel aggrieved.
18 months is indeed a long time in Broadband. When leaving Plusnet in August 07 after the "Year of Hell", Liam Martin wrote some words of real wisdom  in his departing blog post:
Our objective for the year is to “Stop Pi**ing Customers Off”. It takes a lot longer to fix a reputation than it does to break it – and we’re painfully aware of that! But we’re all doing everything we can to stop “gaffe prone” being a phrase next to which we sit.

This dose of much needed contrition was from a soon-to-be-former employee of a company then severely smarting from a long period of serial screw ups, brought on by several incidents of bizarre incompetence, and a great deal of outright arrogance toward the customer base that led to Plusnet becoming something of a laughing stock. I personally have never quite trusted Plusnet since, and like many others have long been convinced that the dead hand of BT would eventually take the tiller.
It seems that those hard won lessons have been entirely forgotten; “gaffe prone” is back in fashion and Plusnet's reputation may well end up beyond salvation this time. Whatever your focus groups tell you, 18 month contracts coupled with a skightly novel misuse of "unlimited" is simply storing up a world of pain.
Quote from: James_G
...basically telling us that the coloured pencil dept...They even kept inside most of the lines when they coloured in the posters.

Award winning. Grin
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Bascule
I'm a BBYW option 1 (10GB) user. In two minds at the moment.  Undecided Do I stay stuck with 10GB for 1 year or or get stuck with it 18 months and save some money? Have a young family whose Internet usage is going exponential and I seriously doubt whether 10GB will be enough in 8 months let alone 18!
Also, I am just being put onto the 21CN trial. Sounds like I might loose that if I transfer onto the Value product?   Undecided

You have the same options in terms of additional usage as before, and you still get free overnight usage. So you can get a lot more than 10GB if needed. Smiley
If you're on the trial you'll stay on the trial if you move products.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: ITWorks

A product without limits is an Unlimited product. There is no limit on the product, and no FUP. To make the product unlimited and unmanaged at that price would make it a massive loss-leader, and completely unsustainable.

Simple go back to the old products that every body wants and likes , and therefore there will be no massive loss-leader , just great products Smiley
Mike

I can understand that existing customers like yourself liked the old products. That said, we simply weren't growing enough, so obviously not everyone liked them.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: rammie1976
Well I've struggled through some of this thread - enough to see that there's talk of
18 month contracts - what the ????
So anyway I'm on BBYW, or whatever it was/is, Option2 with a rolling ONE month contract. How long can I stay on this for?

As long as you like. Smiley
professional

I`ve been with PN for almost 4 years now, having recommended them to a number of  people - but no more. The latest moves with regard to contract length is the final straw - it stinks!
I could NEVER recommend anyone take out an 18 month contract with such an organization. Since BT have taken over, the "darker" side of PN is starting to show. One thing is for sure - when i need to change my broadband package there is no way on earth I would EVER consider Plusnet.
Where did it all go so wrong? - the customer USED to be first - now they are not even in the picture.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Copied from the discussion on TBB:
 Q  4. When exchanges change status (e.g. move from 2 to 3) would the cheaper cost be automatically passed on?

A - This would only change at the end of the existing contract period, up or down.
This isn't fair! ... And another reason for not wanting an 18 month contract.
I'm not on the list of troublemakers ..... but I'm working on it  Huh

It works the other way round too. If you're on a Market 3 exchange which changes to Market 2 for instance you'd still get the cheaper price until the end of your contract. The same applies to customers who move house for instance from a Market 3 to a Market 1 area.
The price you sign up with is the price you pay 'til the end of the term.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: randpwar
Drat.. I wanted the quadruple Nelson.  Smiley
This question may already have been asked so an apology if this is going over old ground. I’m currently on what I think is Option 1 (15gb per month) paying £11.65 per month because I’ve recently tied in for 12 months. Can I opt into the new Value option? Would I receive the same performance as now?  I have never used anywhere near 10gb so the reduction in monthly allowance is irrelevant to me. Is there any other reason why I shouldn't view this offer as attractive?

You can change to Value, but you'd start an 18 month contract, and lose your existing discount. The performance would be pretty similar, with the exception of VPN, which will be better.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: terminal
what happens if you are currently an LLU'ed customer and move to one of the new products? Do you get the market 3 discounted price (assuming your exchange is market 3)? are you moved off LLU onto a BT product?

You'd stay on the Tiscali network and get Market 3 pricing.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It works the other way round too. If you're on a Market 3 exchange which changes to Market 2 for instance you'd still get the cheaper price until the end of your contract. The same applies to customers who move house for instance from a Market 3 to a Market 1 area.

Sorry, but that really is a new low.
How many times has an LLU operator gone to the trouble of installing the equipment in an exchange and then shut up shop? How likely is it that having passed the number of consumers trigger the population would drop sufficiently to cause a change from Market 3 to Market 2?
It is very, very, very, very unlikely that an exchange will go from 3 to 2 or 1 whereas the LLU operators are continually putting their equipment in to more exchanges and it is an absolute certainty that exchanges will move 2 to 3.
You should pass on the changed charges whenever BTw changes the amount they charge you - that would be the honest way of doing it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Not many to be fair. House movers is a different story though.
In reality the list isn't updated that regularly (around once a year IIRC).
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Well, I've just ploughed  through the whole 30 pages in this thread and think I am more confused now than when I started.
It seems a fiasco from what I'm reading and heads should roll at PN for this.  Didn't anyone think of getting the views of existing subscribers before launching this?  As for the 18 month contract, you must be joking.
Dodgydog
Grafter

sorry Mand but after your reply to my earlier post i again phoned sales and was told that the new unlimited product is "not really suitable for serious gamers due to expected lag " even though info on main page still says it is . They also said that there were errors on site about new products due to the rush to get them out and secrecy so competitors would get a suprise (didnt say exactly suprise but near enough). I dont think unlimited is suitable for familys unless plusnet would like to come and referee teenagers in dispute over capped bandwith.Sales also said there would be a product refresh when adsl2+ roles out which would definately involve the capping levels . Having been with plusnet for 7+ years now i have ridden many storms and up till now they have always managed to bail out the boat just in time . I hope this time is no different and they realise that with the credit crunch that people are going to be looking ever closer at exactly what they are getting . For my personal opinion of the new products so far in the words of the great you tube orator Peanut "you can polish a t**d but its still a t**d "
professional

Quote from: artmo
 As for the 18 month contract, you must be joking.

As clowns will do. Grin
mal0z
Grafter

At the rist of boring some of the people at PN - the big lesson on all of this, apart from the trafficing, and debate about the sematics of what is unlimited etc etc. the one outstanding issue is that the vast majority do NOT like contracts longer than 12 months, and not just present customers but those we have spoken to and thinking of moving who haven't even contacted an ISP to discuss it yet.
Mand has said they are listening - and will take account of views for the next phase; so let's just hope they are and find a way to fit a 1 month, 3 month , or at most a 12 month contract, and exclude house move, router, - except as options.