Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Refresh

Mand
Grafter

Re: Product Refresh

Quote from: Stevej
1. The definition of “line speed”

This is the fastest speed your line can support, around 6Mb in your case.
Or am I limited to 448Kbits because I am not ADSL2+ I accept I may lose a bit of the downstream, but that it OK by me if I get a faster upstream speed.
My router supports ADSL2+ so hardware should not be an issue.

448k is the standard upstream on Max, moving to Pro wouldn't change this, unless you signed up for Max Premium also (which gives you 832k up).
2. Static IP address
I have a static IP address if I move from Premier to Pro will I be able to keep the same static IP address, or will I get a new static IP address allocated?

You'd keep your existing static IP.
Stevej
Grafter

Hi Mand,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Regarding "Line speed" may I suggest a link somewhere on the upstream pages that links you to a page that indicates the maximum line speeds as the current use of "line speed" is vague even to someone who has a technical background.
I understand teh downstream is limited by the usual factors like line length etc. It is just not quite so clear what it is for upstream.
I did try to find such information, but failed  Sad
I bet this is where everyone now gives me the link  Grin
Thanks
moemoff
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
As Kitz has said a few posts back, and (I think) James said earlier on in the thread, this was released to PUG under NDA last week, where we pretty much said everything that has been said in this thread, but as you can see here we are!
Phil

Thanks for that Phil.  What a pity you weren't listen to.  Had they taken some of your comments on board the present fiasco could have been avoided. Sad
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  quote tag fixed ]

Don't think they want to listen to folk even if they have been customers for years and years. Loyalty doesn't count. Just herd them in with the rest of the crowd and slap them with an 18 month contract if they dare to consider changing product. Whatever happened to pride in a product and retention through value?
Mand
Grafter

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sitting back a bit it's fairly obvious what is likely to be going on. Not sure if the PUG would have been told any of this though...... Lips_are_sealed
The Board will have been reviewing the business, as is their role and duty, and will at some point have concluded that change is needed.
So, having decided (roughly) what is required they set about implementation.
That is where the change of MD happens, they get the right person for the job. It's just the way things often go.... Cry
New MD arrives with new ideas, works out his plans, presents to board, gets go-ahead.
The rest you know.
PS: Forgot to add that although I haven't checked the Board structure there will undoubtedly have been some "shareholder" input.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

That's the way it stands at the moment yes. If you change during contract you start a new one. If you're out of contract you remain out of contract, unless you choose to recontract.

So what would be the problem in offering existing users who are 'out of contract' the option to change to the new products ( without the free router etc ) without the need to recontract ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Mand
Yep, apologies. Gaming is in Gold on Value ...

What is Gaming traffic classed as on BBYW ?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
grahamt
Rising Star

Mand said earlier (sorry - not sure how to edit quotes so this won't have the nice border):
====
The question was specifically regarding what happens after the initial 18 months is up. At that point you'd be able to move between the new products every 30 days without a new contract.
====
OK, but isn't it more likely that in 18 months time there will be 'new new' products, with the products that have just been introduced this week no longer being available?
Talking of existing but unavailable products, I'm on BBYW Option 1, but with some extra usage allowance. Can someone confirm that I can alter the amount of extra usage allowance without moving to an 18-month contract? I've been paying for more than I use, and was happy to do that as I was pleased with the way Plusnet worked and related to its users, and I and quite liked having some 'headroom'. After this week I'm less happy and am inclined not to pay Plusnet any more than I have to until I see how this week's changes settle down and how other ISPs react to BT's market 1-3 price segmentation.
Another indication of how happy I was is that I've recently opted for Plusnet's home phone service. The date I was given for the changeover has now passed, and I'm still not on the new service. I hope this isn't an indication of a decline in standards. I assume I'm past the point at which I could cancel without penalty, even though the product hasn't been activated yet.
(As I was writing this I just checked my e-mail to make sure the change hadn't been made in the last hour or so, and discovered a message from Plusnet saying that £4.88 - a strange amount - is going to be taken "for your PlusNet internet account" on 24th Feb, not my usual date. This corresponds neither to by BBYW monthly payment nor to any phone costs for future service. It's not strictly relevant to this post, and I'll take it up with Support via a ticket, but it's not good.
Edit: It's OK. It was a pro-rata payment for the phone account, which apparently has just been activated, though I'm still waiting for the message telling me this. The message could have been clearer, but that's a minor point.)
Some people have made the point that Plusnet bosses will have factored in a bit of discontent within the forums, and that external reports have concentrated only on the official press releases. Maybe it's time to take criticisms of the new regime into other forums and publications.
Graham
paulby
Grafter

What is Gaming traffic classed as on BBYW ?

Gold on Option 1 and Essential.  Titanium on Options 2, 3 and Pro.
See here.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: grahamt
OK, but isn't it more likely that in 18 months time there will be 'new new' products, with the products that have just been introduced this week no longer being available?

Possibly, we've barely even got these products out yet, so I'm not sure when the next refresh will be. Cheesy
Talking of existing but unavailable products, I'm on BBYW Option 1, but with some extra usage allowance. Can someone confirm that I can alter the amount of extra usage allowance without moving to an 18-month contract? I've been paying for more than I use, and was happy to do that as I was pleased with the way Plusnet worked and related to its users, and I and quite liked having some 'headroom'. After this week I'm less happy and am inclined not to pay Plusnet any more than I have to until I see how this week's changes settle down and how other ISPs react to BT's market 1-3 price segmentation.

You can change your included usage on your existing product up or down without affecting the product or the contract.
Another indication of how happy I was is that I've recently opted for Plusnet's home phone service. The date I was given for the changeover has now passed, and I'm still not on the new service. I hope this isn't an indication of a decline in standards. I assume I'm past the point at which I could cancel without penalty, even though the product hasn't been activated yet.
(As I was writing this I just checked my e-mail to make sure the change hadn't been made in the last hour or so, and discovered a message from Plusnet saying that £4.88 - a strange amount - is going to be taken "for your PlusNet internet account" on 24th Feb, not my usual date. This corresponds neither to by BBYW monthly payment nor to any phone costs for future service. It's not strictly relevant to this post, and I'll take it up with Support via a ticket, but it's not good.)

That sounds very much like a pro-rata fee for Home Phone (to synchronise your billing date with your normal BB one). The notification should come the day after the transfer was meant to be complete (as that's when we get the BT reports) unless the order was placed manually.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@grahamt
I suspect the amount taken will be a pro rata amount to cover the period from when the service is/was activated until your next normal billing date.
Edit: Just beaten by Mand!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bascule
Grafter

I have the same aversion to the 18 month contract as everyone else here but I'm wondering if it's all a bit academic in the end. After all, I have just been on the "12 month contract" for a few months and already I have the opportunity to transfer to something cheaper if I want to. Is that so bad?  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Mand

You can change your included usage on your existing product up or down without affecting the product or the contract.

Previously, when you changed your included usage, if you went up or down to an amount that was more suited to a different option it automatically did that for you - i.e. changed your product. Does that still happen?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: MisterW
So what would be the problem in offering existing users who are 'out of contract' the option to change to the new products ( without the free router etc ) without the need to recontract ?

That is a very good point indeed, and I'm sure would calm down a lot of criticism.
(there might need to be some sort of minimum qualifying period though, say a year of continuous connection)
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for the responses above about the pro-rata phone payment. I looked around my settings and worked it out eventually, but Mand and others worked it out faster.
Cheers,
Graham