cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with wifi connection to Thomson router and Samsung Smart TV

pwb123

Problems with wifi connection to Thomson router and Samsung Smart TV

I have a new Samsung D6100 smart tv which I'm trying to connect to the internet via a wifi dongle. In setup it connects to the router but not the internet. All other devices connect fine including: Wii, laptop, etc
when I log into the router (Thomson 585v8)  I can see the mac address of the TV/dongle and I've tried to ping the tv and sometimes nothing and other times I get a 50% loss.
I've tried the auto setup which lets it assign IP/DNS settings but this didn't work, so I tried setting my own, but can't get that to work either
IP 192.168.1.64
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.254
DNS 212.159.6.9
The TV setup says "Local connection is completed. But cannot connect to the Internet. Check the DNS setting from Network Setting and contact your Internet service provider to use Internet service."
The following is from the e-Manual:

"If Your TV Fails to Connect to the Internet
Your TV may not be able to connect to the Internet because your ISP has permanently registered the MAC address (a unique identifying number) of your PC or modem, which it then authenticates each time you connect to the Internet as a way of preventing unauthorized access. As your TV has a different MAC address, your ISP can not authenticate its MAC address, and your TV can not connect. To resolve this problem, ask your ISP about the procedures required to connect devices other than a PC (such as your TV) to the Internet. If your Internet service provider requires an ID or password to connect to the Internet, your TV may not be able to connect to the Internet. If this is the case, you must enter your ID or
password when connecting to the Internet. The internet connection may fail because of a firewall problem. If this is the case, contact your Internet service provider. If you cannot connect to the Internet even after you have followed the procedures of your Internet service provider, please contact Samsung Electronics"

I have also:
Changed the 'n' signal issue to see if that would help
Changed channels to try and boost signal it gets 2-3 bars signal, but I notice it occasionally dropping out completely on my phone when I have it in the room.
I can't wire to the router as it's upstairs, so not really sure what to do next as I'm completely stuck! Does anyone have any ideas please?
Thanks
1 REPLY 1
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Problems with wifi connection to Thomson router and Samsung Smart TV

The IP address you manually assigned to the TV (192.168.1.64) is within the router's automatically assigned DHCP range. I wonder if that is confusing network access?
I suggest trying manual set-up with an IP outside that range, eg 192.168.1.32, assigned to the TV. Until you get this working I also suggest setting the gateway (router) IP (192.168.1.254) as the DNS server.
David